American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Administrators
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:27 pm 

Gentlemen,

This is directed primarily at those in administrative positions within the club (Division Commander and above) who are also, or who have been, in administrative positions in Real Life (supervisors and above).

What, if any, correlations are there between the two? Have you had Real Life experiences that prepared you for your club role, or vice versa?

There are frustrations in any administrative position. Having worked with officers in the club who would not return emails, would not send you regular monthly reports, would not participate in tavern discussions, etc., have you learned any ways of dealing with these kinds of situations that have (or could) carry over into your Real Life job?

As for me, I'm a computer programmer in Real Life - at the bottom of the Totem Pole, so to speak. Oh, yes, I 'manage resources' (such as time, equipment, etc.), but I have no direct subordinates in my current position.

I'm curious to find out if there are any parallels -- if Real Life difficulties and rewards are anything at all like those faced in 'fantasy' situations, such as our club. Of course, I understand the basic difference: the fact that in Real Life people are normally dependent on a paycheck and the bosses may have an extra bit of leverage because of that. But when you get right down to it, we also have the ability to remove someone from a club position who is not performing at an expected level (although it isn't easy to do, and I'm sure it isn't easy in Real Life, either.) And on a higher plane, are the skills needed in club administration basically the same as those needed for higher level positions in Real Life?

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - Lieutenant General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America
CCC - Corporal, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:19 pm 

Not sure if this is an answer for you, but it's my "guess".

Those who do a great job of leadership in running what they have to run here in the club, which I get to see, I'd be willing to bet do the same in their Real Life. So which chicken prepared what egg???[:D]

I would just bet that General Walters' well run AoS and War College is no accident of just this club or particular set of responsibilities.

Same could be said of Don Adams' penchant for creating solutions where most of us were just casting wishes.

Now pardon me while I take up some carpentry and widen the doorway to the Tavern so as both Generals can still come and go with their (deservedly) larger hats.

BTW - those two are by no means exclusive examples of great leadership in the club that probably carries over within the real world. I could list a dozen in each army.

General Jeff Laub
Army of the Potomac
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/AoP/

Profile Send private message