American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:39 pm 
Rich,
No that was not the problem. The gunboats quickly got up around the bend where the shore Bats couldn't hit them then proceded to blast the INF. Once they routed under the fire the boats really took their toll.

CPT D.H. Smith
3/1/III Corps,AotM,CSA
http://users.adelphia.net/~sapper99/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:33 am 
Gentlemen:

The Battle of Carthage falls into the CSA column!

Gov. Jackson's troops were able to chase Sigel off the board and strike a telling blow caputering Col. Salomon on the 23rd turn. After surfering losses of 265 men, and 3 artillery to only 38 against the CSA the Union saw fit to offer their sword as most of bluebellies {err yellow) had "retreated" . . . possibly to fight another day!

My hat off to Major Joe Alberti, this is a hard scenario for the union to win. He tried something different!!

Brig Gen John Longstreet
Galveston Rifles
1/5/I/AoG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:12 pm 

CS Capt. D.H. Smith will fight against US Lt. Alexander Giles at Fort Donelson (Day3).

SHILOH is now open at the Opponent Finder Section (1st HACW- Registration topic). This scenario counts for 104 points in the HACW.

This battle can be played on one of these three versions:

BGS 04h. Battle of Shiloh (90 turns)
CS 144 Sh_Battle of Shiloh (86 turns)
Acwcgdc Shiloh_1.02_H01.scn (90 turns)

Lt. Col. Harold Lajoie 3/2/I/AoM, CSA.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:08 pm 

The Battle of Mill Springs is over.

Turn 1: The Confederates have two infantry brigades, five cavalry units and six guns. Some extra units are fixed in the south and can't take part in an offensive movement. Heavy rain is falling and the visibility is limited to four hexes for this scenario.
My plan is to send four cavalry units to make contact with the Federals in the center or on the Mill Springs Road. The enemy may think that they are the avant-garde of my infantry division.
But Major General Crittenden will move on the Robertsport Road and if he is undetected, he will try to reach Jamestown Road and turn right to outflank the Federal defenders near the lone objective hex at Logan's Cross Road. With the capture of this 250 points objective and maybe the destruction of one or two batteries, I may gain the major victory.

Mid-game: We made contact with a single Union cavalry unit near the Brick Church on Mill Springs Road. Three of my cavalry units skirmish with the Federals and quickly gain the advantage. One cavalry company is less successful and is destroyed by the Union infantry near Little White Oak Creek, in the center of the map.
MG Crittenden is still undetected and keep his movement to the north.

Turn 20: The Federals must be in the center of the map but they are probably too far from my southern troops to reach them before the end of the scenario. Anyway, I will reinforce the southern group with my three cavalry units; my horsemen turn away and move south.
MG Crittenden is now on Jamestown Road and is coming very close to Logan's Cross Road. The two infantry brigades are now in line and they are ordered to take the hill just west of the objective.

End game: Surprisingly, MG Crittenden never saw a federal soldier in his march to Logan's Cross Road. My infantry takes the undefended objective and deploys to defend it from a last turn desperate assault.
But the Federals will not come... The Confederacy have a Minor Victory. The Union lost 15 infantrymen and 155 cavalrymen. The South lost 81 cavalrymen. Most important: with this victory, Kentucky remains in our possession.

With this result, the Confederacy receives 9 points and the Union 3 points for the 1st HACW.

Updated score:
<font color="red">CSA 33</font id="red">
<font color="limegreen">USA 35</font id="limegreen">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:16 am 

First Manassas
CSA Battlefield Report
4 PM, July 21, 1861

The battle for Richardson's position on the Union left continued until 1 PM when after over two hours of fighting on the small hill top the Union line colapsed with mass surrenders. This is probably the longest continuous battle for this flank that I have seen. With the colapse Beauregard's men quickly disperse to support the failing Rebel left and secure the Union rear. Early stays on the Hill to defend the area and hunt down the few regiments that escaped. Jones brigade moves to capture the Club Run bridge on the Turnpike to cut off the Union retreat route. Bonham who had earlier detached two regiments toward Island Ford using the road he had secured from Sherman earlier followed with the rest of his large brigade. Longstreet was sent by long route to directly support the left while Jackson cut across country to join the left near Bull Run.

With the afternoon all focus shifted to the Rebel left and the five Union brigades bearing down on it. The Union had massed most of their force down the Manassas road and quickly routed the remains of Evan's and Cocke's brigades forcing the whole left line to fall back rapidly. At 2 pm Smith's fresh brigade entered from Manassas Junction to shore up the Johnson's left. The race was on to see if the Holme's fresh brigade that entered nearer Blackburn Ford area and Beauregard's troops could arrive before the Union could get revenge for their left.

At 3 pm the Union lost the race. The majority of their regiments that had been steadily driving in the Rebel line came to a stop due to routes and disruptions. Their line running from Island Ford to the Manassas road. Now Bonham struck Island Ford quickly taking it and forcing a crossing on the left of the line. Smith's fresh brigade stuck the right end of the line caving it in. Holme's brigade deployed in the center near Flat Branch with Longstreet just behind and the whole Rebel line began to advance. Jackson's first brigade began to deploy on the right of the line. Far to the Union rear Jones brigade seized the bridge destroying the artillery batteries there.

By 4 pm the Union now out numbered two to one surrendered.

The First Battle of Bull Run end in the CSA column with a Major Victory.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:02 am 

Congratulations to Brigadier General Whitehead for his brilliant victory at Manassas. This result shift the tournament in favor of the Confederacy.

Updated score:
<font color="red">CSA: 77</font id="red">
<font color="limegreen">USA: 35</font id="limegreen">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:02 am 

Report from Lexington, Hemp Bales. It is now 11:40am. The brave Rebels have made charge after charge against our walls. We are out of ammo for our guns but have plenty left for muskets and rifles. At least 2,500 Rebs lay dead or wounded in front of our lines for a cost of only 100 of our own men. The boys are hoping they come at us agin..

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
VIth Corp/AoS
"Where We Lead the Army Follows"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:01 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zinkyusa</i>
<br />Report from Lexington, Hemp Bales. It is now 11:40am. The brave Rebels have made charge after charge against our walls. We are out of ammo for our guns but have plenty left for muskets and rifles. At least 2,500 Rebs lay dead or wounded in front of our lines for a cost of only 100 of our own men. The boys are hoping they come at us agin..

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
VIth Corp/AoS
"Where We Lead the Army Follows"
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yet again all attempts to breach the defenses has failed. The death toll rises as we prepare for yet another assualt. We too are out of ammo for the Artilley but just as my worthy opponent has plenty for the musket, so too do the brave forces of teh Confederate Army.

MAJ D.H. Smith
3/1/III Corps,AotM,CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:02 pm 
GOOD NEWS from New Madrid!
Turn 8 Union General places termination bid. He has realized that our defenses are too much for him to breach.

Confederate Minor Victory!

MAJ D.H. Smith
3/1/III Corps,AotM,CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:07 pm 

With the Confederate Minor Victory at New Madrid, the score for the 1st HACW is:

<font color="red">CSA: 89</font id="red">
<font color="limegreen">USA: 39</font id="limegreen">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:21 pm 

South Mills, North Carolina, April 19, 1862.

CS Colonel Wright have only 1000 men and 50 cavalrymen to defend the fortifications. The enemy have 3000 men and my experience at New Bern tells me that it is not a good idea to try to hold this line.

I decide to go for the draw and let the 50 pts objective undefended. I will put the supply wagons in security behind the Pasquatank River and defend the bridge on the New Cut Canal with my 1000 men and the 4 guns.

Turn 1: The Federals are sending a regiment toward the Old Road with the intention to turn my right. I will bombard the other regiment facing me for a few turns.

Turn 3: US General Keller is advancing in strength and his troops are near the fortified line. Time to pack up and prepare the redeployment behind the canal.

End Game: The Federals have made only one charge at the bridge and routed three of my four infantry regiments. But after my artillery fired one shot at close range, the enemy decided to stay away and go for the draw.

With this draw result, each side receives 2 points.

The updated score is:

<font color="red">CSA: 91</font id="red">
<font color="limegreen">USA: 41</font id="limegreen">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:58 am 
Fort Donelson Day 3. While the Yankees put up a good fight it was not enough. By the time they had broken thru the outer defenses, we had already started to with draw towards the Fort. When the Yanks reach the Fort they were battered and disrupted, and were forced to try a night attack by turn 20. This was repelled, and the Fort held. Union gunboats were of little use against the shore batteries and all VH in the FT area are still ours.

This one ends at night as a Confederate win.

CSA MAJOR VICTORY

LTC D.H. Smith
3/1/III Corps,AotM,CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:57 am 
LTC Lajoie,
I am sorry to report that the battle at BlackBurns Ford has ended in a Union Major Victory. The capture of 850 men and the death of Gen Longstreet were too much to overcome. (along with BGBR taking a crap on my PC) End result is a Union Major Victory.

LTC D.H. Smith
3/1/III Corps,AotM,CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:09 pm 

Washington Post News Bulliten:

While the opening battle in the East near a little creek named Bull Run with the Confederates did not go our way this reporter wishes to point out that the skirmish near Blackburn Ford just prior to the battle was a Major Victory for the Union cause. It seems that a young and eager to please General Longstreet rushed across Blackburn Ford to gain a battery of two guns and an early foothold on making a name for himself and his men. General's Tyler and Richardson where there waiting for him with 4 regiments of our brave boys in Blue and before the green rebels could pull themselves out of their predicament their commander lay fallen forever by a minnie ball and two grayback regiments are arriving under guard to our capital this very day. This type of action should lend heart to our boys in blue that this war is far from over and , The Lord Willing, our cause will ring out throughout the land with a resounding victory!

HUZZAH FOR THE UNION!

Major General Don Golen
2nd Brig/3rd Div/ I Corps/
Army of the Potomac, USA!
"The Bucktails"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:42 pm 

Despite being effectively driven off the field, the initial success of the Union advance allowed the Union to narrowly claim a major victory at Wilsons Creek. General Lyon is credited with holding the Union line together in the face of fierce rebel counter charges throughout the engagement. Sigels advance was routed, but managed to return to the field but was ineffective.

FOR THE UNION

Colonel McDonald
3rd Brigade, 2nd Div, XVI Corps Artillary
Army of the Tennessee

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next