American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:39 pm 

I have the new site capable of doing automatic promotions through the rank of Col. (Above that it simply notifies the chain of command when an officer qualifies for one of the General ranks.) Each time an officer is promoted an email confirmation is automatically sent to all of the officers up his chain of command. The database is automatically updated to the new rank immediately.

How do you feel about this capability?

Let me tell you a story that has probably been repeated by many individuals in their first months in the club. As a new recruit I was beaming with excitement and energy to get started. I blazed through the qualifications for promotion to Captain and Major. I waited. No promotion. The wheels of the promotion engine grind very slowly and after almost a month, promotions were finally sent out. The thing was, I had already qualified for Lt. Col. so I skipped the ranks of Captain and Major without ever really carrying the titles.

It was the policy then that promotions were done once a month and if the right people were missing (out of touch for some reason), it could be even longer. It had a dampening effect on morale for sure.

Now, fast forward to today. An officer is ready for promotion and WHAT!! You're shutting down the game registration site!!! Now what do I do?? Frustration again. This time, unfortunately, I am wearing the other shoe.

With the new system, I propose a radical change. My vision for the new site has been to relieve commanding officers from being clerks and giving them the time to command! They can actually monitor the troops and see what officers are doing out there. Promotions happen fast and they are kept informed of everyone of them and can respond appropriately to each and every one.

OK. That's my vision. So how does it work? Take a look at my design plans. It is the way it functions. I even attached a copy of an email that was sent while I was testing the system.

http://www.rootsandsaddles.com/PromotionChecker.htm

Opinions and discussion? Is it too much automation? Is it an answered prayer? ????

Your obedient servant,

Lt. Gen. Don Adams
5th Texas "Lone Star" Cavalry Brigade
I/III ANV
http://www.rootsandsaddles.com/index.htm

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:55 pm 
Don,
I like it. I think its great!!! You can never have too much automation.

Fld Lt D.H. Smith
3/1/III Corps,AotM,CSA
http://users.adelphia.net/~sapper99/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:59 pm 
I dunno Don, I don't see how the "special" mods fit in.

Does it factor in my Daddies huge campaign contributions to the Republicans? the fact that I am one of McClellan's darlings? What about my sister marrying the nephew of the Governor of Arkansas? These are vital historical elements of the ACW promotion system [:D].

OK, there may be good reasons why this isn't a good idea. One that occurs to me is that for those who maintain web sites they generally like to do all the upates at once, etc.

But I like it for the reason you give wrt morale of Jr officers. Those first few promotions are much anticipated and treasured, and it is disappointing not to see the results fairly promptly.

Good on ya!

btw "Very nervously you click on "Open Message"............." loses it suspense if it's always a promotion. Can you throw in random notices of Court Martial, or orders to assume command of a recruiting station in Padunk, Oklahoma Territories? [;)]

Maj Gen Mike Kaulbars Image
3rd "Freiheit" Division
VIII/AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:17 pm 

Don failed to mention that the system also automatically tracks contributions to paying off the Union Commander of Armies bar tab and awards extra points towards promotion in direct proportion to the size of said contribution. Whiskey delivered to the said commanders tent in leiu of cash will also be considered. [:o)]

General Mark Nelms
Union Chief of the Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:49 pm 

General Adams,

As a player that has now made the quantum leap qualifying from Fld. Lt. to Lt. Col. without experiecing life as a Captain or Major, I fully support such a system. And you even used my friend, Lt. Cannon, as the example. I recruited Damian to this club!

Fld. Lt. Brad Slepetz
4th "Hell's Rifles" Brigade
1st Division
III Corps
AoG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:00 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nelmsm</i><br />Don failed to mention that the system also automatically tracks contributions to paying off the Union Commander of Armies bar tab and awards extra points towards promotion in direct proportion to the size of said contribution. Whiskey delivered to the said commanders tent in leiu of cash will also be considered. [:o)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thank you for that clarification Sir. It is most helpful.

No, no, let me get this one ... would you care for another, Sir? [:D]

Maj Gen Mike Kaulbars Image
3rd "Freiheit" Division
VIII/AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:25 pm 
Sir,

I'm honored to be used in your example to show this system. For once I'm being used to show good example.[:p] Yes, Fld. Lt. Slepetz did recruit me but he also forgot to mention that he also gave me most of those points with all my victories over him.[:D]

Lt. Damian Cannon
XXV Corps
1st Division
2nd Brigade
AoJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:27 pm 

Don,

I would love to see this level of automated help!

As for General Nelms' tab - I'm in the envious position of not caring a whit about MY next promotion, [:p] having as many stars on my shoulders as the heavens[:0], so I'll drink another and keep charging to the esteemed Generals tab.[}:)]

(Just so long as Don doesn't implement that Courts Martial feature, in which case I'll be second in line behind Major General Kaulbars as Official Union CoA butt-kisser...)[xx(]

General Jeff Laub
Army of the Potomac
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/AoP/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:45 pm 

Have I mentioned that I'm looking for a high ranking officer for the position of Inspector of Latrines for all the Union Armies? Maybe my search is narrowing down some! [;)]

General Mark Nelms
Union Chief of the Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:01 pm 

Ooops! Figured The Old Man would have looooong been asleep, since I'm on West Coast time...[:D]

Buy you a round, Mark??!![B)]

General Jeff Laub
Army of the Potomac
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/AoP/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:10 pm 

I like your system, Don! [^]

Your ideas and the implementation of them is excellent. It seems you have devised a very flexible, useful and needed system to help all club members, including FOUR star Generals.[:D]

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
President, Colonial Campaigns Club
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:31 pm 

Don,
It's a sound idea Don. The automatic email to the chain of command is all I need to recognize the promotion (up to and including Colonel) and update my army website. All this automation is good so long as all those in command are kept informed and all the information is there for them, and so long as those in command still recognize that they still need to keep a close eye on the goings on in their army. This is all possible with the new system. Thanks again Don[8D]

General Antony Barlow
Army of the Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:11 am 

Concur.

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:58 am 

Bill,

That is correct. After promotion to Col. the site then only notifies the chain of command that an officer has reached the number of points required for promotion to one of the General ranks. Any promotions to one of the General ranks take a recommendation from the CoAs and approval of the cabinet. There is one flaw in the auto promotion site. It will not work for Theater Commanders or CoAs because of the way I had to set it up. So those 6 peopple will have to be watched close!! [:D]

Lt. Gen. Don Adams
5th Texas "Lone Star" Cavalry Brigade
I/III ANV
http://www.rootsandsaddles.com/index.htm