American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:05 am 

Any of you guys know of this game?
HORSE & MUSKET - £34.99

Horse & Musket: Great Battles of the 18th Century is the much anticipated sequel to Dragoon (Battlefront.com). Calling Horse & Musket a sequel doesn't do it justice as it is much more than a sequel. Just look at some of the features in Horse & Musket: • Covers the entire 18th century. Nationalities include: Prussia, Russia, England, France, Sweden, Austria, Saxony, and colonial America. Includes scenarios for the century's most famous battles, from Marlborough to the American Revolution. 20+ scenarios in all. (Does not include any battles already covered in Dragoon.) • 150 yards per hex. 15 minute turns. Units are battalions of infantry, 2-3 squadrons per cavalry unit, batteries of 4+ cannon per artillery unit, and individual leaders. • Includes all major unit types: grenadiers, line and light infantry, cuirassiers, dragoons, hussars, cossacks and 3 types of artillery. • Historically accurate game system with rules for: Individual leader initiative and command activation; movement and combat disruption; formations; unit quality and morale; cavalry charges; infantry assault; rally; disengagement; plus much more. Exacting attention to detail! • Authentic battle maps and army compositions. Unparalleled realism! • Full scenario editor. Create your own maps, armies and battles. • Improved interface. • Improved artificial intelligence. • Vastly enhanced all new graphics using 24-bit 3-D rendered bitmaps! • Enhanced PBEM functionality and Internet play!

General
Frank (Old Banshee) Mullins,
Connaught Brigade,
XV Corps,
Army of the Tennessee.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:15 am 
Brought Horse & Musket but wasn't good to my mind, the only good thing was the command system which was very similar to the old I-Magic Great Battles series.. I much prefer the EAW engine to Shrapnel's series, though it's horse for courses..[:)]

<i><b><font face="Georgia">Colonel 2nd Infantry Brigade </font id="Georgia"></b></i>
<i><b><font face="Verdana">"English Guard"</font id="Verdana"></b></i>

<font face="Georgia"><b>2nd Division, II Corps
AoA</b></font id="Georgia">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:46 am 
Frank,

you will find a free download of Dragoon: The Complete Battles of Frederick the Great, which is very similar to H&M here:

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=4100

Good gaming.

BG Thomas Borling

1/2/I/AotP
Robinson's Young Guard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:00 am 

Not sure why, but I didn't really find <i>Dragoon</i> all that playable compared with the BG/HPS games. However, there are one or two good features in this game engine that could usefully be carried over into the HPS system.

1./ The command control system - the possibility of a leader (and the troops under him) failing to activate on a turn. The concept of temporary "freezing" brigades, divisions and even corps would surely benefit the HPS engine (perhaps only as an optional rule) and prevent players from <i>always</i> being able to coordinate their troops. This would be particularly useful for a battle like Antietam - in fact, if HPS are planning an Antietam title I'd strongly recommend incorporating this feature, because without it the battle would require other, less realistic, means of artificial balancing.

2./ Ten levels of disruption - and the ability to use up movement points to reduce disruption.

(I can't actually think of anything else off-hand - it's been a long time since I looked at the game - but there may be something else)

Col. Rich White
3 Brig. Phantom Cav Div
III Corps ANV

Profile Send private message