American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:52 pm 

I know he's in Mississippi, but I honestly don't recall if he's near the coast, or further upstate. Has anyone heard from him, or know where he lives? I'm worried.

Brig. General Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:33 pm 

I seem to recall that he lives upstate but I haven't talked with him in years.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:03 pm 

Gary,
Put Your mind at ease, Caleb and His Family are Safe and Well. [:D]

Caleb lives in from the coast, close to the Louisianna State-line, where it has come North from the Coast and takes a 90* turn to the West. Caleb lives North again of "the Turn", about 10 miles or so from a small town on Route 49. ( I know Bugger-all about US Geography - so I won't give an estimate of how far inland Caleb lives [:p] )

It's a fairly rural Spot tho', from what I can gather - altho' not quite the Boonies. [:)]

The Area was hit straight on by Katrina at Category 2 strength. Casa Caleb is still standing and reasonably fit. Minor Damage - broken windows etc, I'd imagine - but standing and still roofed. The Vicks Family are Bumped, bruised, scratched, but Healthy. Shaken and shocked, but glad to be alive, determined to stick it out and get back to Life as Normal.

They have Food, Water, Shelter and each other. Their Neighbours are all pulling together. Whilst the Vicks' house still stands - others were not so lucky. As seems to be the way of these Hurricane thingies - some buildings have been totalled, some are unscathed. Obviously neither Caleb nor his pal( who has supplied me with this info) discussed casualties . . . but I'd imagine that there has to be some.

Landline phones are out. Power is out. The forecasts for return of either/both range from 5-7 Days and 2-3 weeks. I hope that I'm wrong, but because of the rural nature of Caleb's Crib . . . I'd imagine that the 2-3 weeks estimate will prove to be accurate.

[There seems to be Little or non-existent contact with State or Federal Assistance. http://www.wwl.com/
I heard on this New Orleans radio stream on the I-net this morning, that the FMEA committed to relieving their "Staffers" in the New Orleans area after they had served 48 hours duty from the time Katrina struck. They were to work 48 hour shifts from there, they are currently working 96 hour shifts. this to me seems a bad way to do things . . . tired people make mistakes - but the impression I'm forming is that FEMA couldn't organise a Arse-wipe in a Public Lavatory.] My apologies Gents for the outburst . . but it haddta come out! [}:)]

Back at Caleb's, their main problem seems to be Gas. Katrina followed the general direction of R 49 from the Coast. Prior to Katrina arriving, a lot of Refugees from New O, took this Route and drained the Gas Stations dry. [:(] As the original forecasts for Katrina were for Her to take a different route, Caleb hadn't stocked up on Gas. My main concern for them is that as their supplies start to run low, that even tho' he has Gas to get to a Station, when He gets there, there'll be none to be had. If anyone is in driving distance of Hattiesburg and would be willing to drop-by with a cuppla 5 Gallon cans of Gas . . . lemme know and we'll git it organised. [;)]

Like I said . . the Landline Phones are out. The Cell phone system works but is very weak and patchy. Again on the radio I-stream above, they are recommending that people TEXT rather than trying Voice-calls. Text requires less of the weakened signal and circulates around until it can get thru'. And it saves your cell battery. Basically, the whole world is trying to call on the Cell system and it can't cope - so, comms between Caleb and his Bud are gonna be sketchy for a while.

I'll post more if Y'all are innerested - when and if I get some. [:)]

Please Keep Caleb, His Wife and Girls and all those Folks Down South in Your Prayers,

Regards and Thanks Guys,

Pat.

Colonel Patrick G.M.Carroll,
Commanding
II Corps,
Army of Georgia.
"Spartan Southrons"
C.S.A.

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:55 am 

Col. Carroll,

Thank you much for the excellent news [:D] So long as all are hale and hearty, everything else will take care of itself in time.

Brig. General Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:23 am 

You're Welcome Gary. [;)]
As I said - as more news/details come in - I'll post here.

Regards and havva Nice labour day.

Pat.

Commanding
II Corps,
Army of Georgia.
"Spartan Southrons"
C.S.A.

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:31 am 

A Quick update on Caleb.

He has gotten his hands on a small generator - so Life will be a li'll more comfy for 'em all now. Who knows . . p'raps he might get to run his Comp long enuff to drop by . . . . then again with the Fones out . . . it could be a while afore he has an ISP to connect to! [}:)]

Pat.

Commanding
II Corps,
Army of Georgia.
"Spartan Southrons"
C.S.A.