American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:42 pm 
What effect will installing the Peninsula patch have on any current games? I can't remember, though I know it was brought up before, and a cursory search brought up nothing useful...

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Lt. Col. Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:54 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ALynn</i>
<br />What effect will installing the Peninsula patch have on any current games? I can't remember, though I know it was brought up before, and a cursory search brought up nothing useful...

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Lt. Col. Alan Lynn
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

entrenchments have been changed some added and some removed. Not sure what else.

Col. Phil Driscoll
1st Brigade/1st Division/VCorps/AoP

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:24 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phil Driscoll</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ALynn</i>
<br />What effect will installing the Peninsula patch have on any current games? I can't remember, though I know it was brought up before, and a cursory search brought up nothing useful...

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Lt. Col. Alan Lynn
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

entrenchments have been changed some added and some removed. Not sure what else.

Col. Phil Driscoll
1st Brigade/1st Division/VCorps/AoP

I read through the notes with the patch, but it doesn't really say what will happen to any existing games, which is what I am worried about. Thank you, though.

But for instance, if a current battle is a non-campaign game, will it be a problem? Only on certain scnenarios? Will it effect a campaign battle in a different manner?

Regards,
Lt. Col. Alan Lynn
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:14 pm 
If you go to www.hpssims.com and then to the peninsula patch and click on the changes. The very start has:
NOTE: map changes in this version may cause problems for games in progress. Before applying this update, you may wish to complete any existing battles to avoid any potential problems caused by map changes in this update.
And then it goes on from there to be more specific.
I have two campaigns going and it makes me paranoid that the time invested in them might be lost if I install this update.
It has been posted here before how to have two Corinth games on your hard drive - one with the old 101 patch and one with the most up to date. Maybe whatever that procedure was could be used here to have two Peninsula games on the hard drive until these older battles get completed?

MajGen, 2/VIII/AoS
"Beer! It's not just for breakfast anymore!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:32 pm 

A quick way to add another VERSION of any HPS game is to COPY the entire game folder to a TEMP folder. Rename the ORIGINAL FOLDER to something like Campaign_Peninsula_v1.xx (This is the OLD VERSION). Then make NEW shortcuts for the game file and campaign file and name them something like Peninsula_OLD and Peninsula_campaign_old.

Then copy the game folder you placed in the TEMP folder back into the HPS folder. THEN, you may update this folder with the new version.

All of your OLD game will be finished using the OLD game files.

Of course, if you DO NOT intend to start any new Peninsula games until you finish your current ones, then wait to upgrade until then.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:43 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ernie Sands</i>
<br />A quick way to add another VERSION of any HPS game is to COPY the entire game folder to a TEMP folder. Rename the ORIGINAL FOLDER to something like Campaign_Peninsula_v1.xx (This is the OLD VERSION). Then make NEW shortcuts for the game file and campaign file and name them something like Peninsula_OLD and Peninsula_campaign_old.

Then copy the game folder you placed in the TEMP folder back into the HPS folder. THEN, you may update this folder with the new version.

All of your OLD game will be finished using the OLD game files.

Of course, if you DO NOT intend to start any new Peninsula games until you finish your current ones, then wait to upgrade until then.

ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

That's the problem, I was planning on starting a new battle as part of the 1st Historical tournament, but the potential opponent has already installed the patch, and I have not. We're trying to determine how to proceed.

I know I have the HD space to run two versions, but it seems like a lot of trouble switching back and forth...

Regards,
Lt. Col. Alan Lynn
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:59 am 

There is no switching back and forth. You play them as if you had two different games. You make seperate shortcuts for each. You can name the shortcuts anything you want, to tell them apart.

I have several ECKMUHL setups, 3 Corinth MODS working now.

Quite often, when new patches come out that affect a PBEM game, I make a new copy of the install. It, literally, takes minutes to do this.

ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:07 pm 
mission accomplished for me - thanks Gen'ral Ernie.
Now I'm back in business with both old and new peninsula.
I didn't bother making seperate shortcuts. Just had to go into the file anyway to do the unzip on the file, so then in there hit the campaign or battle icon as needed. Later I'll reactivate the one shortcut when I go back to only one version of the game I guess

MajGen, 2/VIII/AoS
"Beer! It's not just for breakfast anymore!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:40 pm 
Well, you boys have me sold on the idea. My adjutant, Colonel Winfield XP, is copying all of the files by hand as I type. [:D]

Regards,
Lt. Col. Alan Lynn
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><