American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: BGG replay problem
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:52 am 

Gentlemen,

Recently have come across a problem while training a new cadet. During one of the training scenarios I got an "Error reading replay file". I didn't think much of it because I have seen this from time to time in my gaming and since that assignment was nearly complete I just had him continue to the next one. When playing the final assignment in his training in the MR folder of BGG and on the 3rd turn I got the "Error reading replay file" during the replay again and again his turn didn't finish. As I said I have had this occur from time to time in my pbem games and normally you can skip the replay and then continue or resend and redo the turn and it disappears. However when I tried skipping the replay I found we had no objective hexes and my turn 3 releases didn't take place. So I resent my previous turn and asked the cadet to replay his turn only to have the problem recur with the new file.

Had the cadet delete the pbem.xxx and .yyy files but still had the problem. I sent the files to Gen Ross and he had the same problem I did. Gen Ross thought maybe the cadet had opened the file in the wrong folder since it will replay in the GB folder, but when I asked him about this he said he checked his game folders and the only place that .bte was located was in his MR folder. So I had him start the scenario over again only to have the same thing happen, first two moves went ok then on the third file the error showed up in the replay.

Now this cadet is ready to graduate but I hesitate to complete his training until we discover the cause of this problem. Would appreciate any help anyone could provide on possible causes and solutions to this problem.

Lt.Gen.Ken Miller
Veteran's Divsion
VIII / AoS

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:57 pm 

I have had times when the bte file is so corrupted that the only cure is to go back a turn and get a "good" bte file. Most of the time doing what you described fixes the problem but I don't think it always does.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:11 pm 

It is possible that he, somehow, was using the wrong versions of BGG. OR, his upgrades did not fully "take".

If the file was not ZIPPED, then that might cause a corruption in transmission. I, in the last week, had that problem in one of my games where my opponent sent the file UNZIPPED. When he resent it, ZIPPED, there was no errors.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">