American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Braggin' Rights Tourney
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:12 am 

With the blessing of Generals Mallory and Laub, I'm opening up a new Club wide tournament starting right now. It is called the Braggin' Rights tourney as the winning side will have bragging rights over the other side for the entire year. I don't think anything like this has been tried before so I'm hoping ya'll will take hold of it and make it work. Here is the link to the tourney web site:
http://www.geocities.com/marknelms1/Tourney_Page.html?1136040207968
Basically you can play any scenario you like as you will be handicapping the battle yourselves. For example, scenarios that are fairly balanced you might offer 1 point to an opponent for a major victory versus 1 point for yourself for a major victory for yourself. However, say you want to play the Union side at Antietam, you might have to offer a Reb 6 or more points for a major victory to your 1 point to get it in as a tourney game. What points you offer and what points you accept are totally up to you. I'm sure that if some officer takes a high risk game that offers him a lot of points for a bleak chance at winning and pulls off that win that medals of valor could be awarded. I've included examples of other offers on the web page so you can get the idea. I'll track everything in a spreadsheet and post updates as the year goes along so you can see which side is winning the campaigning for the year. You can offer points for all your games or only one depending on the level you want to participate. This will be a chance to sharpen your negotiating skills or suckering someone into offering a bunch of points for that daring strategy you have for some scenario that one side thinks is hopeless for you. I'll also occassionally post what some of the offers are here in the Mason-Dixon so that you have an idea of what the "going rate" is for some scenarios. Just send me an email with your accepted offer and I'll track it and then send me the results when you are done and the point total will go into the pot for the winning side. If you would please make the subject line of your email "Braggin' Rights". Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

General Mark Nelms
Union Chief of the Army
Cabinet Member

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:51 am 

I've had one inquiry about adding existing games to the tourney. If you can get your opponent to agree to an offer considering then I will consider them eligible.

General Mark Nelms
Union Chief of the Army
Cabinet Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:31 pm 

Did add a rule capping the points offered.

General Mark Nelms
Union Chief of the Army
Cabinet Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:44 pm 

Well the first two games for the tourney have been registered. Generals Laub and Mallory have decided to have a go at Iuka with Laub sure to gain 5 points there though he generously offered General Mallory three points in case the unthinkable happened. Lt. Col. Suarez has stepped up to donate 1 point to the Union cause in what will be his eventual defeat at Malvern Hill though he will gain two points if for some reason, like I become incapacitated and my wife takes over, and he gains a major victory.

General Mark Nelms
Union Chief of the Army
Cabinet Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:50 pm 

The ink was hardly dry on this page when another Reb stepped up to try and get those two points from me for Malvern Hill. A well done to Maj.General Dragan for helping me advance the Union campaign total! [:D]

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:51 am 

The Union jumps out to a quick lead in the tourney thanks to General Laub's minor victory over General Mallory. Given the quality of the Reb officers and armies I expect this lead to quickly expand.....that means get bigger for you Rebs. [:D]

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:03 pm 

For those interested here are some of the going rates:

Corinth Campaign - 5U/3R
Davis Bridge - 5U/3R
Malvern Hill - 1U/2R

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:11 am 

Sir,

For the record, I'm playing Gen Pat Carroll at Davis Bridge and offered him 5 points for a rebel major victory, 3 for a minor and 1 if he could even achieve a draw. I asked for 1 point for a Union minor and 3 for a Union Major victory. We later found out you can't offer points for a draw, so that's now at zero.

15 turns in (and three trashed rebel brigades later) all of the bridges on the map have been destroyed and things are looking rather dicey for Generals Price and van Dorn. Unless Hurlbut and Ord drop the ball or Jackson's and Armstrong's Cav have a really good day, look for Union points.

Shortly after I agreed to play Pat (he'd proposed it - I think before he or I knew much about it), I had a look at the War College for helpful hints on this scenario and not finding any submitted a scenario guide of my own. It looks like it should work as advertised.

Regards,

Chuck Berdanier
Lt Col, 2/1/IX, AoO
National Light Infantry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:25 pm 

Another point for the Union in the Campaign as I've scored a victory at Malvern Hill against Maj.General Dragan. I think General Dragan could teach the Japanese a thing or two about "kamikaze" after this battle. It was a pretty game attempt to get those two points but in the end he has conceded me the one point for the victory. You Rebs had better get on the stick! [:D]

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:03 pm 

Well I'm sad to say that the Rebs have scored their first points in the campaign as Emilio Saurez led his forces to a brillant victory over my my Union forces at Malvern Hill. This was good for two points for the Rebel cause.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:03 am 
Lt. General Dragan is my Commanding Corps and he sent me to take Malvern hill. He lost so that they were trusted and now we will gain all:) Thanks Lt. General J. Dragan <salute>

Lt.Colonel E. Suárez
3/2/III/AoA
CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:46 pm 

Colonel Suárez,

Sir, you and your men are an inspiration to us all.

Fellow rebels, let us rise up and follow the lead of our brave Colonel! Down with the Union!

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Ensign, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:25 pm 

Finally got around to updating the Tourney page. Not exactly overwhelmed with participation but will keep things going for those who choose to partake. So far the Union is kicking Reb rear, as it was and as it always shall be.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:44 am 

Another 3 points for the Union side as their lead mounts.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:47 pm 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe those 3 points Gen Nelms mentioned were as a result of my Major Victory over the Rebs commanded by Lt. Col. Krenek at Brandy Station. The Union forever and long live Abe Lincoln.

Lt. Col. Bill Spitz
3rd Division
V Corps
Army of the Potomac