American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:53 am 

Gentlemen,

Have been playing a Ozark Campaign 1st Battle of 1862 campaign. I have noticed that the Dead Yank Cavalry is worth more points than the Dead Reb Cavalry. It is not related to the quality of the units as the Rebs were B grade and the Yanks were E grade. I had always known that cavalry was worth more points then infantry. Before this I had assumed that both the Yank and Reb troopers were worth the same number of victory points. In another Campaign, Wilson's Creek, the Reb Artillery was worth more points than the Yank Artillery. Is this an attempt by the designer to balance the scenario? How do you know what value to placed on your losses verses the enemy losses before they are incurred? Is this phenomina the same for other HPS Titles? Thanks.

MG Joseph C. Mishurda

ImageImage

MG Joseph C. Mishurda,
"Killer Angels"
XXV Corps, AoJ

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:52 am 

These values can be set in the design of any scenario in any of the games. That said, I don't recall any of the others that use that. (At least in ACW... I'm playing a game of Crete in Salerno '43 where the Germans are worth far more than my Brits and Greeks)

I've always guessed that it was meant to represent "Ease of Replacement" in Ozark. The Union troops lose a cannon, they can order another from St. Louis fairly quickly. On the other hand, every gun the CSA had was precious. Likewise, the Rebs were buried in Cav, while the Union had to work hard to put it together. Thus, the loss of those units has an extra "cost"

ETA: To check this, open the scenario in question in the Scenario Editor, and you can call up the page that sets values for losses.

Brig. General Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:39 pm 

It's used in 1812, I noticed. In a Detroit game, I have killed 400 rebels with barely over 100 own casualties, yet the score is about the same. Rebel manpower is cheap, it seems! [:0]

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
Reserve Artillery, AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:23 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
<br />It's used in 1812, I noticed. In a Detroit game, I have killed 400 rebels with barely over 100 own casualties, yet the score is about the same. Rebel manpower is cheap, it seems! [:0]

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
Reserve Artillery, AoS

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's just because it easier to get a reb who's willing to fight. [:D][;)]

Fld. Lt. JB Phillips
ANV - I Corps, 3rd Division, 1st Cavalry Brigade
C.S.A.
"Phillips Grayriders"