American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:29 pm 
After accidentally installing the 1.02 patch for Campaign Peninsula into the folders that I had reserved for my unpatched version of the game, I am trying to get back to 1.00. I first tried to just copy all of the original files from the CD into the Campaign Peninsula folder and overwrite everything, but I kept getting the error: "Failure to create Direct Sound object" and then nothing would load.

So I uninstalled the game and then did a clean install again. Same result. No old campaign files or new files will open correctly, it just gives me the same result: Failure to create Direct Sound object

So now what? [?]

Regards,

Col. Alan Lynn
2nd Div, II Corps, AoA

Signal Corps, Assistant Editor

"The only accurate news is well researched history."

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:17 pm 

I would do this: The normal CP folder should be renamed to Campaign Peninsula_normal (or something like that.)

Then in your UNPATCHED CP folder, move all the game files to a folder like TEMP. Then delete the CP unpatched folder.

Next install the game from the original CD to someplace other than the default folder. (I keep normal games in the default folders and the ones for MODS or unpatched, in another position, not in program files) After installation, rename the main program folder to CP_unpatched (or something similar). Now go back and remove the "normal" from the regular game folder.

When you orginally uninstalled the unpatched game, all the newer files MIGHT not have been removed.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:16 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ernie Sands</i>
<br />I would do this: The normal CP folder should be renamed to Campaign Peninsula_normal (or something like that.)

Then in your UNPATCHED CP folder, move all the game files to a folder like TEMP. Then delete the CP unpatched folder.

Next install the game from the original CD to someplace other than the default folder. (I keep normal games in the default folders and the ones for MODS or unpatched, in another position, not in program files) After installation, rename the main program folder to CP_unpatched (or something similar). Now go back and remove the "normal" from the regular game folder.

When you orginally uninstalled the unpatched game, all the newer files MIGHT not have been removed.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks. My current setup is unpatched version in the default folder. Patched version is setup as HPS/Campaign Peninsula Patched/

I'll try as you suggest and just switch them around. Good news is that I don't have any patched games going right now, so at least I don't have that to worry about. I'll just uninstall it, delete both folders, and try flipping them around so that the default folder is patched and I have a separate for unpatched.

On a side note, Ernie is the most helpful Yankee I've ever met. Anytime there is a technical problem or question, he steps in with the correct answer. Hats off to you, sir! [:D]

Regards,

Col. Alan Lynn
2nd Div, II Corps, AoA

Signal Corps, Assistant Editor

"The only accurate news is well researched history."

God Bless <><