American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:00 am 

My Dear Captain and all Going to Gettysburg,

I make the motion that we follow the Captain's recommendations. It's a good plan. Please keep in mind that we do not have to stay together as a group the entire day. However, introductions in the morning and dinner together at Picketts should be considered by all as a group event.....but then again, it's your time and you can do what you wish.

I for one am looking forward to meeting everyone.....and first round drinks are on me.....

Colonel R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade
"We are the Midnight Riders"

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:12 pm 

Gentlemen,

Please count me in for the Saturday excursion. Unfortunately, I cannot make it Friday evening, nor will I be able to attend breakfast on Saturday morning, but I can meet the group at 0900 at the visitor center and them am available for the day, including dinner. One question though, which Visitor Center will we be meeting at? There are two at Gettysburg, the Cyclorama Building and the one with the Electric Map and main Bookstore. I would suggest the Cyclorama Building which is behind and to the north of The Angle. Unfortunately the Cyclorama is not available as it is being renovated prior to being installed in the new Visitor's Center. The Cyclorama building does have a great map of the battlefield on the second floor which can serve as a great place to get oriented to the battlefield.

A few years ago I took and passed the written exam, which was the first step in becoming a Certified Tour Guide at Gettysburg and am on a list awaiting my turn to take my oral exam, the final step to becoming certified (yeah, I know there are those out there who already think I'm certifiable), so would be happy to serve as a guide to the group or to share such duty with any and all interested parties.

I look forward to seeing and meeting you all.

Lt. Col. Bill Spitz
3rd Division
V Corps
Army of the Potomac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:24 pm 
Captain Notso?

I've been informed that you'll be providing rickshaw service to any senior officers of AoA, should they decide to attend the festivities.

Gen. J. Cuneo, CSA
Army of Alabama, Commanding
Image Image

"I have seen the faces of men, who had dared death so often, it lost its' terror." -J.S. Mosby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:12 pm 

<font color="beige"><b>Gen Cuneo,

That is correct suh, I suggested to Captain Quick that such an endeavor would be sure to gain him some of them extracurricular OBD points he craves! [;)]

When last I saw him Quick was tote'n that dang moose down the street souse he could be in shape for the big event.</b></font id="beige"> [:p]

<center><font color="blue"><b>Maj.Gen. R.A.Weir</b></font id="blue">
<font color="yellow">THE CALVERT LINE</font id="yellow">
<b>First--III--AoA CSA</b></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:50 am 

I'll be hanging out around the Holiday Inn let's say 18:30 hours.....
How will we know each other?

Colonel R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:29 am 

Well, have you ever seen the movie "Grumpy Old Men"? Then you will know NOTSO!

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:34 am 

Gentlemen;
if any of you are arriving at BWI around 18:30 (give-or-take) email me as I will be arriving then and we have a car I'm renting at the airport. I can give you a ride if need be. Look forward to seeing you all.[:D]

Major General Don Golen

1st Division/ V Corps/Army of the Potomac, Union!
Assistant Commandant Union War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:34 am 

I had my yearly (well four year) trim.....and if I must say, look at least three months younger....

Colonel R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:34 pm 
Meet at the Angle 10pm Sat night?? I thought the park grounds close at 10pm?
I have your cell number to coordinate where to meet you guys. I'll get out of work around 1pm and should get there NLT 4pm Saturday.
If you're into reenactors, the units there this weekend are: at spangler springs you'll find the 4th VA Inf encampment and activities; at Pitzer woods will be a troop of the 2nd US Cav encampment and program; and at the Pennsylvania Monument they'll have a living history field hospital.
Don't drink all the beer before I get there. I think Friday you guys are meeting at the Mine Shaft bar aka Reliance Mine... don't think I'll get there then. I get off work early Friday, but have to report for duty 5am Saturday/get up at 4am... :( BvB/Scott
PS: Pickett's Buffet closes at 8pm, so you may want to consider getting there before 7 if you do want to get rushed out from your meal. The prices have probably gone up since my last visit, but it was lunch all you can eat for seven bucks and dinner for ten, plus extra for beers... Then you could head back across the street to the Mine Shaft bar for more beer... that place generally doesn't have many visitors but is a hangout for off duty tour guides and reenactors.

MajGen, 2/VIII/AoS
"Beer! It's not just for breakfast anymore!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:43 am 

See ya in Gettysburg.....

Colonel R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:49 am 
Today at lunch read an article in a local paper saying that at Goods Field in Hanover, just east of Gettysburg they will have a Living History thing all weekend. Things listed to happen: lecture on Union Opns for 1863, Fife & Drum corps playing, Street battle both Sat & Sun, lecture by "Mrs Lincoln", cannon firing, candlelight tour of Union & reb encampments, Medical demonstration on "wounded" and another lecture.

MajGen, 2/VIII/AoS
"Beer! It's not just for breakfast anymore!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:48 pm 

Well it's Friday night and troops from both sides are gathered on the third floor deck of the Holiday Inn. Tomorrow, the great tour is planned. Personally, I am so excited, as new friends have been made.
Well I just wanted to say hell-o to everyone from everyone here. We have new hat from Bob Weir to remember the event. This is just so great.....oh out of beer....catch you later. Oh, Notso's in jail as he walked out front of a police cruiser, but other than that, everything is ok.....

Colonel R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:37 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RE Daley</i>
Oh, Notso's in jail as he walked out front of a police cruiser, but other than that, everything is ok.....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Please remember to get a copy of the mug shot photo. I'm sure that Larry will want another 'souvenier' for his photo album.

Carry On Gentlemen,

Formerly
Col. Charles S. Hayes
Copperheads Brigade
2nd Division
1st Corps
AoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:28 pm 

Wow. I know it's not eligant but it seems to sum up how I'm feeling right now. The meeting at Gettysburg with you guys was even better than I thought it would be. Sitting around dinner, talking over topics that we all share a passion for, going out onto the actual battlefield and really getting a feel for the terrain. The smiles, the jokes the serious moments they all come together to overwhelm me and all I can say is Thanks! Thanks to Russ for getting the ball rolling. Thanks to Larry for gently (or NOTSO gently) pushing me to meet you fine gentlemen. Thanks to Bob Weir for thoughtfully making hats for everyone to comemorate the occasion. Thanks to all you fine gentlemen for giving me the opportunity to meet you and yours. This was truly a special weekend for Grover and I and we hope to make it to future reunions wherever they may be.
ps. Larry, you left Andy off your list below. Grover says Hi![:)]

Major General Don Golen

1st Division/ V Corps/Army of the Potomac, Union!
Assistant Commandant Union War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:52 pm 
Sounds as if a good time was had by all.

Carry On Gentlemen,

Formerly
Col. Charles S. Hayes
Copperheads Brigade
2nd Division
1st Corps
AoA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next