American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Technical help - WIN XP
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:12 am 
Gentlemen,

I have read the post on the message board, how to find out which battle one fights in a campaign. I have given it a try and opened a Peninsula file using the editor. From that moment all campaign files, regardless what game (Corinth, Peninsula, Gettysburg), have lost their file extensions and opening the files using the editor is active. Any idea, how to switch back and have the file extensions again? Thanks in advance!

BG Thomas Borling

1/2/I/AotP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:26 am 

The main campaign file should have the extension ".cpf" on it. There are two other files but they will be automatically created when the game opens the cpf file. Usually the editors only add a new extension like "txt" if you used notepad to open and accidently saved. You should be able to find the file and rename it back to cpf. For play by mail scenarios the extension is ".bte".

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:23 am 

Gen Borling,

My post explained how to open the .cpf file with a text editor and compare it to the .scn files to find out which battle you are playing in a campaign. I have been doing this for some time and have never had a problem. Even if you opened the .cpf or .scn file and saved it with a .txt extension it should not affect any other files.

I'm not sure exactly how you got rid of the extensions, or what you mean by that. Your post says you opened a Penninsula file with the editor, do you mean a text editor, the Scenario Editor ? Let me know which program you used to open it and that might help.

Do you mean when you open the Scenario Editor you no longer have any .scn files to open, or is it the Campaign Editor that can't find any .cpd files or both ?

If you open the game folder with Windows Explorer do you see file extensions there ?

If you give me a little more info I'll see if I can figure out what's going on.

Gen. Ken Miller

Army of the Shenandoah

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:57 am 
Gentlemen,

problem solved. I just renamed the files .cpf and .btc and it works fine. Thanks!

Regards

BG Thomas Borling

1/2/I/AotP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:27 am 
If he used the "open with" feature in windows by default it has always use this program or something similar checked. this may have been the culprit.

Maj.Gen. Mike Smith
Smith's Brigade
Smith's Division
Carroll's Corps
Army of Georgia
[url="http://blog.notso.org"]ConvolutedMuse[/url]

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them (around the banks), will deprive the people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), US Founding Father