American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:56 pm 
Hi All,

I'd be interested to hear the opinions of the club about this game. I plan to download the demo and try it myself...but from what I've heard there's no multiplayer. Thanks and sorry if this topic has already been covered...

Col. David Gillies
4th Highlanders/I/XXIV/AoJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:58 pm 

You're correct. There's no multi-player in either of the first two editions, nor does there promise to be in the third, which is scheduled to be Shiloh.

However, the game is well worth trying out. As an experience, it's a hoot. As eye candy, fascinating. And as to be hoped in a game where one can only play the computer, the AI is pretty decent.

Try it. Judge for yourself.

Your obedient servant,

Col Dwight McBride
1st Brigade ("The Regulars")
2nd Division/V Corps/AOP

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:32 am 
I've only tried the demo of the original 1st Manassas battle but it was quite amusing. If the second is improved in any way it would be worth the small cost - even without multiplayer or PBEM. The AI has multiple ability levels and will actively take advantage of your mistakes, seek to attack you in the flank, etc. Don't confuse the TakeCommand AI with the Talonsoft or HPS AIs. The TakeCommand game was designed to play against the AI and thus much effort was put into it and it shows. THe HPS and Talonsoft games were designed for online and PBEM play and thus not much effort was necessary for the AI in those (and it shows. [:I] )

Regards,

Brig. Gen. Alan Lynn
2nd Div, II Corps, AoA

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:31 am 

I have their first one Take Command, Bull Run. The graphics are good and it's fun to play even though against AI and it was only 19.95 at Target store. Downloaded the Demo from their site and tried it out, it is an improvement over TC Bull Run, but don't know if its worth the extra 20.00 for it. The graphics are better, the only bad thing about the demo is that you have to play the yankees as BG Gibbons.[:p]

Respectfully,

Col. Gery Bastiani
33rd NC Inf. Regt.
II/2/4 AotM

"Let us pass over the river and rest under the shade of the trees" -Stonewall Jackson

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:00 pm 
I had intended to post here about his game, but it seemed you were all more interested in PBEM.

There are a number of reasons why I highly recommend this game. First, the AI is very good. I am quite impressed with the style of play and the variation to play exhibited by the AI. I often play a battle several times in a row, and quite often get different outcomes.

The game is made to mod. Right now many folks are working on modding many aspects of the game. They've even included a how-to-mod manual. You can tell this game was developed by grognards for grognards. If you don't like the range of the muskets or thier effectiveness change them. It's rather simple too.

The community is also very helpful, and rather more respectful than other game forums. I don't seem to encounter the posts from people with relatively low mental ages I encounter in some of the more popular wargame forums.

They are working on a campaign and multiplayer feature for the game, but that is most likely some time down the track. However, I feel the game is just starting to pick up momentum.

This game is immersive. I feel like a civial war brigade commander playing this game. It's got a feel to it, that is really enjoyable. I have to realte to the other corp or divisions on teh map, and the situation unfolding in my area, as well as keep an eye on my men. Morale and fatigue as well as unit experience all have a role to play in outcomes. I often have to rotate units out of the line. I'm still working up to playing as a corp commander.

This wargame is well worth the money, particulalry for the attention to detail and the ability to mod so many aspects of it. I highly recommend it to any wargamer.

Cheers,