American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Promotions
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:34 pm 

Gentlemen,

There may be some confusion still about how promotions are handled. For those who may not have received the message before, let me clarify something.

Promotions have never been 'automatic' with the new system. Each officer must go to the Department of Records and click on the 'Field Promotions' button. When they do that, the system checks their current rank against their accumulated OBD points. If their rank is below what they are due, one of two things happens: If the rank they are due is below the General levels (that is, Colonel or below), the system updates the rank and then sends a notification to the officer and everyone above him on the chain of command. If the rank they are due is one of the General ranks, a notification is sent to the CoA (with copies to the officer and those above him on the chain of command) so the CoA can take this up with the Cabinet.

I never was really thrilled with this system since it requires effort on the part of each officer, but General Adams explained there is no way to activate anything within the database on a regular (calendar) basis -- everything must be activated by someone taking some action.

(Aside to General Adams: If you're looking for a summer project -- is there any way you could develop a process so an officer could press a button and have the system perform this promotion function for everyone under that officer's command? I realize it could take a while, especially for those highest in the echelon, but it would allow higher-ups to initiate this action for those in their commands.)

If you feel you are due a promotion (you can check your OBD points against the list in the Club Rules), please visit the Department of Records. In the 'Reports' section (secton 3), the 'Field Promotions' button is in the third (right-hand) column, the fourth entry from the top.

Oh, and if you are due a general promotion and don't get it immediately, please don't get impatient and keep hitting the button [:)]! It could take several days at a minimum for your CoA to receive the notification, present it to the Cabinet, receive replies from Cabinet members, then award your promotion. In some cases, even more than several days. This is not a failure on the part of the Department of Records, but on the part of your CoA (if you're a Reb, that is!). If, on the other hand, you press the button and don't receive a reply within a week, it may be that the notification was lost in the mail -- please feel free to press it again.

General Adams, if my clarification needs to be clarified, please pitch in. In the meantime, please allow me to buy you another drink for this magnificent record-keeping system you have developed.

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Ensign, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:39 pm 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
<font face="Andale Mono"><font color="pink">Gentlemen! <salute>

My two cents worth on this subject! The Department of Records is a beautiful system that has a ton of information available with a click of the mouse! I believe now it is called <b>ACWGC Automatic system</b>, why or where the change came from I don't know!

I have been instructing the new CSA Officers as they complete their training at VMI/OCS to check the <b><i>Records</i></b> section where they will find the <b><u>Field Promotions</u></b> as General Mallory has outlined. I don't think that it is too much to ask that each Club member look out for themselves in this arena. It is their and their opponents responsibility to file their battles in order to earn OBD points towards promotion. I know that as I was making rank, I knew where I stood and I was the first to look for that next promotion.

Just my thoughts!

Respectfully,

</font id="pink"></font id="Andale Mono">

<font color="pink">Nick Kunz
[img]C:\FrontPage%20Webs\Content\library\vol_1\v1p2_files\CsaGenStaffB.gif[/img]
Lieutenant General
Commandant, VMI
Confederate States of America</font id="pink">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:47 am 

General Mallory is right.

For those General rank promotions, it requires a bit of time. On the Union side, we try and make sure it happens pretty quickly, and should take nolonger than a couple of weeks from notification. We like to group them together when possible each month, but it's not a requirement!

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:39 am 

Promotion would be a lot quicker if they Yankees would just set still so we could get a better shot [:)] instead of turning tail [:p]

Respectfully,

Col. Gery Bastiani
33rd NC Inf. Regt.
II/2/4 AotM

"Let us pass over the river and rest under the shade of the trees" -Stonewall Jackson