American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:22 am 

Was browsing around and looking for info on this upcomming movie.

one site suggests that it will not be made into a movie due to poor results from Gods and Generals.

anyone else heard this ?

<center>Image
Lieutenant General John Corbin
Commanding officer
Army of The James
USA</center>

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:14 am 
Yup..

"<i>REGARDING "THE LAST FULL MEASURE":

Many of you have written, asking if the film version of this book is being produced, to complete the Civil War trilogy. Unfortunately, because of the poor box office results for "Gods and Generals", Ted Turner has dropped all plans to finance a film version of "Last Full Measure". Someone else may yet step forward, but so far, no one in Hollywood has shown interest. Despite the many rumors to the contrary, I'm sorry to say that no film is now in the works.

Jeff Shaara. </i>"

<center><i><b><font face="Georgia">Colonel 2nd Infantry Brigade </font id="Georgia"></b></i>
<i><b><font face="Verdana">"English Guard"</font id="Verdana"></b></i>
<font face="Georgia"><b>2nd Division, II Corps
AoA</b></font id="Georgia"></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:34 am 

Sadly it was good and bad at the same time. It definately was no Gettysburg. [:(] But ok to say the least/or most. [:p]

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<b>Major General Scott "Mad Prussian" Ludwig</b>
Commanding Officer, Western Theater, CSA
Interim Chief of Staff, CSA
"The Army Commissary" and "The Traveling Blowhard of Virginia"
Retried ANV Commander 2004-06

http://www.networkforgood.org

[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]Napoleonic Wargaming - 1NWCG[/url]</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:08 pm 

Gods and Generals could have been edited alot better for sure. I wish that Antietam was left in and that some of the slow family scenes were cut out (that Fredericksburg family drove me nuts, especially the mother). At least with DVD I can easily skip the useless scenes.

P.S. to Scott: I see that you are using the "Mad Prussian" nickname here in the ACWGC as well. LOL.

Brigadier General Dale Lastowicka
1st "Adirondack" Division
XXV Corps
Army of the James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:38 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dalelast</i>
<br />Gods and Generals could have been edited alot better for sure. I wish that Antietam was left in and that some of the slow family scenes were cut out (that Fredericksburg family drove me nuts, especially the mother). At least with DVD I can easily skip the useless scenes.

P.S. to Scott: I see that you are using the "Mad Prussian" nickname here in the ACWGC as well. LOL.

Brigadier General Dale Lastowicka
1st "Adirondack" Division
XXV Corps
Army of the James

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes thanks to you and Bill Peter's I decided to use it here too. [:p]

I agree leaving Antietam out was a disaster. Also the graphics that he used for long range battle images were all the same...and poorly done too.

I would say Chancellorsville was the highlight of it all....if you even get there. [V]

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<b>Major General Scott "Mad Prussian" Ludwig</b>
Commanding Officer, Western Theater, CSA
Interim Chief of Staff, CSA
"The Army Commissary" and "The Traveling Blowhard of Virginia"
Retried ANV Commander 2004-06

http://www.networkforgood.org

[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]Napoleonic Wargaming - 1NWCG[/url]</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:03 pm 

I watched and quite enjoyed Gods and Generals, but that's mainly because I'm interested in the history. But as a piece of art it was quite poor. Some of the battle scenes were ok but overall it was dull and the music especially made it seem dreary and flat. Gettysburg was a lot better. A wasted opportunity. Just my humble opinion.

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acw/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/aoc/XXAoC.htm"]Army of the Cumberland[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:15 am 
I'm an oddball I suppose, I liked G&G better than Gettysburg. There were many parts of Gettysburg that were clearly overdramatized and quite boring for me.

Maj.Gen. Mike Smith
Smith's Brigade
Smith's Division
Carroll's Corps
Army of Georgia
[url="http://blog.notso.org"]ConvolutedMuse[/url]

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them (around the banks), will deprive the people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), US Founding Father

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:22 am 
The cut Gods and Generals Antietam scene if you haven't seen it.

http://american-civil-war.org/godsandge ... lip1_nb.rm

Might need Realplayer to see it.

<center><i><b><font face="Georgia">Colonel 2nd Infantry Brigade </font id="Georgia"></b></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:32 am 
Gods and Generals on sale from Bestbuy.com for $4.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... &id=440362

BGen Robert Hinkle
1st Infantry Divsion
I Corps/Army of Alabama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:31 pm 
Ted Turner owed America an apology for the disaster he made of Michael and Jeff Shaara's wonderful novels of the Civil War. His format of packaging 5 minutes of battle between 10 minutes of maudlin soliloquies was boredom personified, even for those of us with a profound interest in the period.

They were awful movies and richly deserved the dismal box office they received. Ken Burns, using nothing more than quotes, period music and still photographs did a much better job of bringing the conflict to life, and, in my mind, still stands as the defining study of the Civil War on film.

I hope that some day, someone will produce another series that will finally do justice to that wonderful series.

Formerly
Col. Charles S. Hayes
Copperheads Brigade
2nd Division
1st Corps
AoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:36 pm 
Ted Turner supplied the money, Maxwell directed. Any blame I think should fall on the directer, not the producer.
The sequel to Pirates is due out next month. To save money and the difficulty in getting all the same actors together, they filmed the 3rd movie at the same time as this second one. So the third will probably be released next year.
This is how Last Full Measure should have/could have been done. It would've saved money and had all the right actors again. Now if one was to do LFM they'd need a new cast as the originals will look old and fat compared to Gettysburg being filmed summer of '92 and released in '93.
I wish they'd come out with DVD's of both movies that would add in all the deleted stuff. Until then it's not worth buying or renting again.
Thanks for the link here to the Antietam footage. G&G sucked with all the soap opera footage.

MajGen, 2/VIII/AoS
"Beer! It's not just for breakfast anymore!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:10 pm 
I enjoy both <i>Gettysburg</i> & <i>Gods & Generals </i>although I much prefer the former. I think they capture the flavor of the novels pretty well. I guess I am too easy to please.

My mother-in-law, who lives in Shepherdstown, sent me <i>Antietam, A Documentary Film</i>, on DVD from the Antietam National Battlefield store along with some printed materials about the battle. The film is very good & quite historically accurate although it is a bit tedious to watch because it lacks the sentimental or romantic treatment given to the films in question.

I recall the flap around the time of the release of <i>Gods & Generals </i>& there was a lot of objection to the religious content & Southern sympathy critics detected when viewing the films. I am surprised this drubbing of the film by those critics has not merited more comment here.

I think Ron Maxwell did a good job on both films & I am disappointed that <i>Last Full Measure </i>won't be done. I still listen to the music on CD from Gods & Generals on a regular basis.

Ron Maxwell courageously objected to the bad reviews but they were enough to sway a lot of potential viewers from paying to see the film. Because of those bad reviews <i>Gods & Generals </i>received & the lack of a ground swell of reaction from those who liked the previous films Ted Turner or anybody else with the money to fund the films in spite of their dedication to the subject probably aren't going to risk the investment.

They are a lot better than a lot of the films Hollywood churns out on a regular basis these days. I prefer them because the violence is not gratuitous & there is no sex [:D]. I guess I am just an oddball too.

Col. Dale Henken
2/1/XVI AoT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:17 pm 
I just wonder why Jeff Shaara's books weren't made into a mini series (like HBO's Band of Brothers) rather than the bloated Gods and Generals film.
It would have made much more sense seeing how much ground it covers unlike Gettysburg which focuses on the 3 days and fits much better into a movie setting. (Even the Gettysburg film has been cut and there are lots of deleted scenes missing from the original cut that was filmed.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:06 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CS Hayes</i>
<br />Ted Turner owed America an apology for the disaster he made of Michael and Jeff Shaara's wonderful novels of the Civil War. His format of packaging 5 minutes of battle between 10 minutes of maudlin soliloquies was boredom personified, even for those of us with a profound interest in the period.

They were awful movies and richly deserved the dismal box office they received. Ken Burns, using nothing more than quotes, period music and still photographs did a much better job of bringing the conflict to life, and, in my mind, still stands as the defining study of the Civil War on film.

I hope that some day, someone will produce another series that will finally do justice to that wonderful series.

Formerly
Col. Charles S. Hayes
Copperheads Brigade
2nd Division
1st Corps
AoA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well put. I desperately wanted to like these movies but I didn't. Not because of my sympathies for one side or the other but because they were poorly acted and poorly edited. Also, I'll never forgive them for casting Jeff Daniels as Joshuah Chamberlain. Unforgivable.[:(]

Major General Don Golen

1st Division/ V Corps/Army of the Potomac, Union!
Assistant Commandant Union War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:14 pm 

I agree with Col Hayes about Gods and Generals, but I thought Gettysburg had many redeeming features, most notably the fight for Little Round Top and Pickett's Charge. Also, I thought the acting in Gettysburg was superior to that in Gods and Generals, even though a lot of people objected to Martin Sheen's interpretation of Lee. I love Robert Duvall as an actor, but his performance as Lee in Gods and Generals was pretty lackluster.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA