American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:20 am 

Just when you think you know it all, some game thing is discovered that not only didn't you know, but doesn't even make sense, or indeed seem correct. For example . . .

I'm protecting a bridge from being crossed. The bridge intersects with my side (the opposite bank) at an angle. Where the bridge touches the bank, I place a good sized regiment. In the adjoining hex, I place four sections of artillery. The artillery should be protected from being overrun, because the enemy would have to go through the hex at the end of the bridge first. Whereas my artillery is in the hex that is off the <b>side</b> of the bridge, although touching the end of the bridge, I assume that the game would not allow troops to "jump over" the side of the bridge into the hex with the guns. To make sure, I zoom in to 3-D view and see that the "open" end of the bridge (no railings) only rests on the hex with the regiment, <b>not</b> the artillery.

Well, you probably know by now what happened . . . Enemy troops came across the bridge, had to stop when they ran into the regiment of course, but instead of meleeing the regiment, they "hopped over" the side of the bridge and meleed/overran all my artillery . . . The points given my enemy for wiping out all those guns is still the difference in the battle (to his favor) although in every other aspect, he is losing . . . So this promises to be one of those agravating occurances where I'll win the battle while losing the game.

I feel cheated, because nowhere was I given a clue that folks could jump off the side of a bridge, completely avoiding the bridge's connect-to-shore hex.

So, my question is . . . Has anyone else out there come across things like the above. Non-intuitive, un-historical, yet there in the game anyway. They're not in the manual information of course. They have to be discovered/experienced to be known. Any others? I'd really like to know, so I could avoid more agravation!

Col Dwight McBride
1st Brigade ("The Regulars")
2nd Division/V Corps/AOP

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:23 am 

Quite the same happened to me on the Jackson map at Corinth years ago ... but I thought it had been fixed meanwhile?

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
Reserve Artillery, AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:32 am 

Ha,

That's nothing.

Imagine my surprise when I was playing a game of Nashville (Shiloh).

I used a gunboat to block a bridge. The enemy came across the bridge in column, jumped over the bridge in the middle of the Cumberland River and boarded my gunboats. The sailors were so surprised, they immediately surrendered and the gunboats disappeared.

However, given my inside connections, I ensured that that cannot happen again. Now the gunboats will retreat (I think!) I'll have to review the upgrade.

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:40 pm 

Col. McBride,

It's a special game enhancement -- only Rebs are allowed paratroopers, and only off the sides of bridges [:D] !

Picture yourself as one of those men in column, marching across a bridge. You find yourself face-to-face with a large body of enemy infantry in line at the end of the bridge, and flanked by an artillery battery. You and your buddies go berzerk, leap off the side of the bridge, and charge the battery [8D] .

I just dismiss those kinds of things as part of the fickle nature of men at war. Think of Grant's surprise at Chattanooga when his men rushed Missionary Ridge against all odds and reason -- and carried the Rebel works!

Seriously, this came up in a post quite a while back. I expect it's an engine glitch. If you did not have the guns there, I doubt if the enemy infantry could have exited the bridge off the side like that.

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Ensign, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army