American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:59 pm 

Master John Suh,

It's not the uniform that makes the man, but the man who makes the uniform. And by wearing of the Gray makes ya'll less of a target on the battlefield with all of the smoke from the guns a firing, and if you noticest all of them blue uniforms have a yellow racing strip down the middle of the back, just ask your Pa. He's seen a lot of that from looking through the sights of his rifle. Besides I though I was one of the young guns in this outfit, I just turned 39 in December for the fourteenth time [:p].

Respectfully,

Col. Gery Bastiani
33rd NC Inf. Regt.
II/2/4 AotM

"Let us pass over the river and rest under the shade of the trees" -Stonewall Jackson

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:35 pm 
John?

You need to one who wears the Gray. It's in your blood, as it
was in your father's.

Gen. J. Cuneo, CSA
Army of Alabama, Commanding
Image Image

"I have seen the faces of men, who had dared death so often, it lost its' terror." -J.S. Mosby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:35 pm 
Bill

They were talking about age not our IQ's [:D]

Semperfi brothers

Lt Col Karcher ,Csa
Commander
3rd Virginia Calvary
II Corps Army of Northern Virginia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:09 am 

Back when West Point first got set up, as one of the first instructors, I had a cadet who was 11. Interesting experience. While everyone was at the Tavern having a grand ol' time, I was across the street at the drug store soda fountain buying the kid ice cream.

And don't even mention all those Saturday nights making s'mores.

I think he stayed in the club for a month or two after he received a commission.

Gen. Doug Burke
XX/AoC/USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:13 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by notso</i>
<br />
If anyone would like to provide him some encouragement, I am sure he would appreciate it.

Fld. Lt. Larry (Notso) Quick
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Lt. Quick,

You didn't say whether or not Master John has his own computer. If not, I think you should get him one -- on condition that he join the club and that if he ever leaves the club he has to return it. That should provide ample encouragement!

As for his nickname, no problem -- we'll just start having chocolate milk served in the taverns. I think every opponent he beats will have to drink a glass of the stuff [:D] !

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Ensign, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:22 pm 

I am sure that West Point has a slot for Lieutenant-to-be "Waytoo" Quick. John, we are glad to have you in the ranks if you choose. And "Semper Fi" is still two words.
Jim Gleason [8D] LG 4-2-I AoP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:53 am 

I would encourage Master Quick to join -- I'm sure he can play competively.

My own son, who is now 31 was playing computer, board and miniatures civil war games around your son's age. Fortunately there was another boy in the neighborhood and he had a ready partner, even for head-to-head PC games -- I think they started off with the SSI titles. They were attending historical miniature conventions by that time and playing against the older "boys" without any issues. Actually they were playing much better, in part because they concentrated on one set of rules - Johnny Reb - and they knew what worked and what didn't.

If there is enough interest by younger players, I think they and club would benefit if two junior "armies" were set up, with leaders who were willing to do some continuous coaching and education as well as the usual monthly tracking and reporting. That would also provide some opportunites for focused engagements among those of similar age.

Notso -- you might also want to check out the Historical Miniatures Gaming Society that sponsors some youth educational oriented competitions for prizes -- I noticed one is with the University of Maryland --

http://www.hmgs.org/charities.htm

Lt Gen Bob Breen
Commanding XIX Corps, AoS
"Defenders of the Right"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:53 pm 
Sir i agree that if we do get enough younger members like myself perhaps we could start up 2 junior armies, however the only fear i would have with this venture would be if older members not wishing to take on battles against the much younger opponents due to their age, thus denying them alot of exprience against an older more exprienced opponent, also the younger members if this were to happen would have to be able to show some commiment which i know is hard being 1 of the younger members but i am all for it

Lt Byron Cameron
1st "Templar Knight"Bgde
3rd Division
1st Corps
AoP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:39 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> He has shown that he is mature enough to handle PBEM and that he can converse with adults. LOL

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

ROFL! A feat by itself. [:D]

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:26 pm 

I understand I may have the chance of being Master John's trainer. If he is any thing like his father, we are in for it. hahaha

It would be a honor for me to take him through his training cycle.
I am just waiting on the word and we will get him DONE !!!

Welcome my new cadet...

Willie Tisdale
"The Gray Fox"
Colonel
Pee Dee Division
/2/II - ANV - CSA
VMI Instructor