American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:39 am 

From our sister club, the Colonial Campaigns Club, where the Early American Wars series is played--1776, 1812, French & Indian War--in which the campaign format was first introduced (in a rather raw form, admittedly, more a series of not really linked battles than an actual campaign) I am used to playing almost exclusively campaigns. It really keeps up the interest if you have to care for tomorrow and consider what the casualties that you take in a desperate assault or in staying too long in an exposed position will do to your staying power in the next battle, and the one after that, and so on. So when the campaign format came to the ACW and Nappy games in 2001 I was hooked. And though I love the BG games, and loathe the weaknesses of the HPS ACW games (the weak defensive fire first of all), playing campaigns gives me a thrill that no stand-alone battle ever can. Campaigns are almost the only reason that I play HPS at all. Now, truly, the only thing that beats a linked scenarios campaign is a all-in-one-battle campaign--many hundreds of turns on a huge map. It really gives an operational scope to what is otherwise a purely tactical game. I just wish there were some features that do justice to this wider scope, above all fatigue gained by excessive day-and-night marching. Nevertheless. Campaigns all the way for me; linked if it must be, huge monsters on giant maps best of all. Nothing like playing hide-and-seek on the huge Bavaria map in Campaign Eckmuhl. And I will definitely have to try the full Seven Days on the Peninsula map.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
AoS

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:35 am 

General Barlow, sir,

Yes, reassign me.

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos
3rd "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, Cavalry Division, XX Corps, AoC
The Union Forever! Huzzah!

Profile Send private message