American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:31 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by laubster22</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">However, this level of micromanagement may not appeal to all gamers and would probably be too time-consuming for John to code in.- BG Rich White
For those who don't want to manage supply wagons, there could be a toggle or game start option that all units would always have ammo. I would not like it although Gen Laub might.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BG Ross McDaniel
2nd Bde, 3rd Div, III Corps, AoG, CSA<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I wouldn't want unlimited ammo - I think as commanders, we should ahve to deal with some level of logisitcal thinking. The game makes us do this. On average, I think it evens out. Most times (in my recollection at any rate) one of the designers have commented on this subject, they have had good reasons for setting things up in a scenario the way they have. That's about all I can ask for.

That's not intended to squash the discussion - I think it's one of the true benefits of the Clubs that members debate and strategize on how to improve the games, and we've seen several ideas implemented into the games as a result, usually with an Optional Rule.

[8D]

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes players should be doing a better job of managing their ammo. My main criticism is that the game lacks the means (very little between set everything to minimum range and play hell with your defensive fire or shoot until you run out) and until games like Gettysburg and Pennisula get the one gun one ammo option they are unplayable. I say unplayable in that one side has to send a major portion of their artillery to the rear to keep it from wasting ammo. They can be played but at a rather severe and stupid handicap.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:32 pm 
I think that it was Rich Hamilton wrote that artillery ammo consumption would soon be on a per tube basis.
The next and most urgent improvement will be to assign each unit a basic load and their resupply to wagons.
Just consider how artillery is free to roam far and wide in great numbers with no regard as to a resupply source should they be required to fight. That is especially true for big scenarios and maps such as HPS 007 Gettysburg.

The next step in player ammo management would have resupply assignment by the player. The logical programming strategy would be to pattern supply assignment the same way we presently do ranged fire. Left click on the supply wagon, then right click on the targeted combat unit. No need to reinvent the wheel.
Or we could assign supply melee style which would allow consolidating several low ammo wagons to resupply a large unit. Just left click on the wagon and drag it to the low ammo unit.
That would also allow us to preferentially direct supply resources to a strong corps or division and avoid the automatic supplying a weaker, heavily fatigued force.

Genrl Laub, I did not believe that you would prefer unlimited ammo, just that you were saying that you preferred the lazy option.[;)]

BG Ross McDaniel
2nd Bde, 3rd Div, III Corps, AoG, CSA