American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:22 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Trajan</i>
<br />Pre plotting an entire move not just melees would be a tremendous step toward taking the gameyness out of the games. It would be a massive change to the engine, though (I assume), so I doubt there's much chance of it happening.

It would be great. You would make all your moves and indicate all your melees based on what you see at the start of your turn. Then you close your turn and send it to your opponent. He watches the replay - but in the replay your units move, fire and melee not necessarialy the way you plotted them. Some of your units may move into unseen enemy ZOC, some units may take defensive fire and become disrupted ; all the units in a melee may not be available. (Maybe even have rules for units to change face or reduce movement if moving into the fire zone LOS of a previously undetected unit so units don't march blndly ahead) This would tend to make us all move with a more historical caution and completely remove the opportunistic decisons made in reaction to information gained by moving one unit at a time. This would, in effect replicate the simultaneity of at least friendly movement.

At any rate, the oppnent would watch the replay and then do his move etc. We would then watch the replay which would start with the replay our last turn so we could see what actually happened; then the replay of the opponents move, then we make our moves etc. Repeat until Victory, Defeat or Exhaustion.

But like I said, I think the engine change would be too massive.

BG Michael Burns, CSA
1/4/IV/AotM
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Allow me to take the opportunity to plug Paul Bruffell's Ancient War Series published by HPS. It is a pre-plot system. Both sides plot, one at a time, then both sides can see the results played out. Paul has the results portion broken into four phases which balances out players' intention nicely. His series is continuely added on, so who knows a(n ancient) Civil War or two may be available at some point.

... and the graphics are beautiful. [:D]

MG Al "Ambushed" Amos, Commanding Officer
1st Div, I Corps, AoP, USA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:12 pm 
Sounds like you'd like to see "Combat Mission: War Of Northern Aggression".......So would I.......I'd love to see a good Tactical Simultaneous Resolution Turn Based Game........

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:42 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jefferson H. Davis</i>
<br />Sounds like you'd like to see "Combat Mission: War Of Northern Aggression".......So would I.......I'd love to see a good Tactical Simultaneous Resolution Turn Based Game........

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I completely agree with that. Combat Mission was, and still is, a really nice simulation game for tactical combat. I had hoped that Take Command or its bastard child on Gettysburg would see the light and change their game system to a plot and go. Having tried to play the old Talonsoft games using direct internet connections its a real pain to set up and even bigger pain to coordinate a game with other players.

Also think a game like Take Command using WEGO system could handle much larger scenarios than their real time versions.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
2/3/IV AoM (CSA)

Profile Send private message