American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:53 am 

Gentlemen,

I'm currently engaged at Wilson's Creek with the yankee Major Derek Hampel of the Army of Tennessee. Some of my Arkansas Razorbacks charged up Bloody Hill and collared this here fella hiding in some bushes.
Image Image

Well, I immediately recognized him as the so called "Lyon of the West" according to the newspapers. He is the most hated man in Missouri and lots of the boys wanted to hang him from a sour apple tree. I figured it best to turn him over to my superiors so I present him to the Army of Alabama. Y'all do what is proper but I suggest he not return to Missouri. I do have a supply of tar and feathers that I can donate if needed as part of your decision.

Most respectfully,

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:38 pm 

Dang! well done Suh, bring that Lyon person to the bar and we will put him on the BBQ, get him ready for his next stop

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:49 pm 

Lieutenant Rogers <salute>

Suh, my compliments!

Nicely done! Is this a Lieutenant's Cup match?

Highest regards,

CSA Cabinet Secretary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:40 pm 

General Hebert <salute>,

Thank you, suh! This is indeed a Lieutenant's Cup match.

Most respectfully,

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:43 pm 
Fld Lt Rogers,
Mark,

I am truly amazed that General McOmish is so fond of BBQ but I certainly can't hold it against him. BBQ is good! What sort of BBQ do you like, Sir? They are many varieties of BBQ in these here Southern States!

Kansas City Style

Out here in the wild west, Kansas City style is the barbecue with which we’re most familiar, and is the dominant style of most of the sauces on the local grocery store shelves. In fact, it’s probably pretty darn near impossible to even find Carolina or Texas style sauces out here where the sun sets into the ocean every night. Kansas City style barbecue is characterized by thick, tomato-based sauces containing mucho sugar. An interesting variation to Kansas City barbecue is that Miners Mix (minersmix.com) barbecue sauce. This product is a dry mix that contains all of the stuff that makes Masterpiece and those other bottled sauces taste like barbecue, but you blend it yourself with ketchup, vinegar, molasses (or brown sugar if your molasses is all gone). Once blended, Miners Mix is a thick, dark, rich sauce that’s full of flavor. The best things about it though, are that it’s a dry, packaged mix, so it has little weight, takes up little space (good for camping), yet still makes over 5 cups of sauce, plus you can adjust the vinegar/molasses ratio to your sweet/tangy version of bbq heaven!

Kansas City style rubs are mostly brown sugar, or some other form of sugar as well. It’s imperative that Kansas City barbecue be cooked slowly over low heat, or you’ll end up with a crispy black lump from all that charred sugar. Not good! Kansas City style barbecue usually focuses on pork, pork ribs, and chicken. Miners Mix also makes a really good barbecue rub with flavor that mirrors that of the sauce above.

Memphis style

Memphis style barbecue is somewhat similar to Kansas City style, but doesn’t pack nearly as much sugar as that stuff from further west. Memphis style tends to be more spicy than Kansas City style, and pork ribs or butt are usually the primary meats found in Memphis barbecue joints. It’s usually served sans sauce, but the meat might get basted occasionally while cooking. Because sauce isn’t slathered on the meat, Memphis barbecue is not nearly as messy as Kansas City style so perhaps it’s not nearly as much fun to eat. If sauce is used, it’s generally served at the table for dipping or pouring over pulled pork. Memphis sauce is generally thinner, runnier, more tangy, and less sweet than Kansas City style sauce. Memphis style uses rubs as well, but the sugar in Memphis style barbecue is either greatly reduced, or lacking in the rub.

Texas style

Texas barbeque focuses on beef. Might be a little chicken or pork ribs tossed in as sort of garnish, but in general it’s beef, beef and more beef. No squeal, no cackle. Beef brisket, and beef ribs, cooked with a dry mustard and chili powder-based rub. Sauces tend to be thin and bold, more like a basting or mop sauce and are heavy with flavor from various kinds of ground chilis, cumin, onion, hot sauce, meat drippings and even beer or coffee. If you want your barbecue “wet” then the meat gets dunked into the mop bucket of sauce prior to plating.

Carolina style

As much as Texas style barbecue is beef, Carolina style barbeque is pork. What kind of pork, you ask? Pretty much all but the squeal, from pork butt (actually the pork shoulder) and ribs, all the way up to the whole critter done in a pit. Not much if any of a rub is used; this barbecue is sauce-based. Carolina sauce in general is thin and watery, tangy, and peppery. Depending on the Carolina region you’re talking about, the sauce can be golden yellow from the mustard base, or clear and vinegar-based and it might contain floating flecks of cayenne. Being tangy from the vinegar, the sauce cuts through the fat in the ribs and butt and soaks into the meat while cooking. Like the other three styles above, there are many variations on the theme.

I guess I'm into the Kansas City style of BBQ but I have had the Carolina style with the mustard base and even the vinegar based BBQ was pretty darn good.

Dang... there I've gone and made myself hungry. I wonder which style of BBQ will make the "Lyon of the West" the easiest to digest?

Keep up the good work, Sir! <salute>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:46 am 

Gen Hulinsky Suh I was BBQing him to get him use to the heat for his next posting which being a yank will be down rather than up, if you get my drift :mrgreen: But I am keen on BBQ so your post is of great interest

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:54 am 
They don't call you 'Turkey Rustler' for nothin'!

<salute!>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:51 pm 

Well, being born and raised in Missouri I'll admit that I'm biased when it comes to Kansas City style being the best BBQ. In the interest of fairness though I believe it's in the best interest of the Army of Alabama to host a BBQ and make available all manner of southern BBQ gastric delights for comparative purposes.

I know more about tarring and feathering Yankees than BBQ'ing them so I will defer to those with more experience in such matters.

Your humble servant,

<salute>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:45 pm 

General McOmish <salute>

It's good that Lyons won't be on the menu; I doubt even Nicodemus would want a serving :roll:

CSA Cabinet Secretary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:26 pm 

Well I know what I'll be "foraging" tonight, and what is on the schedule for this my battery's officer's mess tent. Man that barbecue post sounded delicious! To Turkey Rustler, thats some good fortune, in a smaller scenario like Wilson's Creek 54VPs is pretty significant. I suffered a major defeat at the hands of Lt. Hampel in Tennessee at Ft. Donelson, so I know he is no political general/blunderer (or I am... :? ). Anyway, I would like to see how this battle pans out.
P.S. why do your 3D icons look so good? do you have a mod? if so, I would love to get hooked up with that. The main mods I have are Old Banshee's .bmp mods, which are top notch.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:46 pm 
Fld Lt Rogers,
Mark,

Missouri? You are admitting that openly, Sir? Your only saving grace in that department is that Tigers are now in the SEC... and doing pretty darn well. Funny... because Missouri was never any good in the Big 12!

I know there's a couple of Officer's in the Army of the Mississippi that are a bit upset over last weeks game... you know... they are loyal Tennessee fans but I think things are getting better over there for them and their team. So maybe next year!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:28 pm 

JMatthews wrote:
Well I know what I'll be "foraging" tonight, and what is on the schedule for this my battery's officer's mess tent. Man that barbecue post sounded delicious! To Turkey Rustler, thats some good fortune, in a smaller scenario like Wilson's Creek 54VPs is pretty significant. I suffered a major defeat at the hands of Lt. Hampel in Tennessee at Ft. Donelson, so I know he is no political general/blunderer (or I am... :? ). Anyway, I would like to see how this battle pans out.
P.S. why do your 3D icons look so good? do you have a mod? if so, I would love to get hooked up with that. The main mods I have are Old Banshee's .bmp mods, which are top notch.

Field Lt. Matthews,

Joe,

I will see to it to have some Kansas City style BBQ sent over to your officers mess. Major Derek Hampel is indeed a tough opponent. We are still slugging it out and only about half way through Wilson's Creek. I'll post an update on how the battle ends. I'm using a mod for the 3-D icons and I use the Old Banshee mod for the unit portraits. Send a rider to turkeyrustler [at] gmail [dot] com and I'll forward it to you.

Most respectfully,

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:45 pm 

General Hulinsky,

Great fishing and hunting here in Missouri so the Tigers aren't our only saving grace. Hunting and fishing have definitely been better than the Tigers over the years!

You tell them boys from Tennessee that it will be alright. They have Jack Daniels right there to soothe the wounds from that thumping that we put on them. I'm still upset over the South Carolina game that we blew. Heck we should be undefeated.

Most respectfully,
<salute>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:29 am 
Fld Lt Rogers,
Mark,

I'm just teasing you, Sir! I'm from Nebraska... so if we want to talk about a team that hasn't been relevant for at least 10 or 15 years... you could point a finger right at us! :oops: It riles me a bit to hear how good the SEC is all the time. So I am very happy to see the Tigers doing so well. I wish you all would have beaten South Carolina also! Just make sure you beat Texas A & M, ok?

What sort of hunting are you involved in?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:54 pm 

General Hulinsky,

A Cornhusker, eh? It's been tough on you all since Tom Osborne left. I always liked the way his teams played the game. I saw your Huskers destroy the Tigers more times than I really care to remember. I'm glad that we have Texas A&M in Columbia, I like our chances so we might make you happy.

As for hunting, now it's mostly turkey and deer. I still hunt squirrel, rabbit, duck, quail and pheasant on occasion but not like I used to do.

Most respectfully,

<salute>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next