Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:54 pm 
October 14th, 1813
03:00 hrs: L'Empereur has written to His Bataillon de Honneur La Grande Armee... "My Cousins, I hope that you will arrive here in good time today. It is necessary to cross the river at once.. There can be no doubt that during tomorrow - the 15th - we shall be attacked by the Armies of Bohemia and Silesia. March with all haste, therefore, and if you hear a cannonade make for the sound of the guns."

And the Bataillon de Honneur have answered the summons of their Empereur.

A Challenge is issued to the armies of the Coalition, to engage the 1st Company of IV Corps' Bataillon de Honneur upon the battle map of Leipzig, scenario M15 076 (15 Minutes Per Turn, 44 Turns total; First Day of Leipzig).

We are a three player team looking for a two or three player team from the Coalition.

Our Company is composed of Marechal Bruce Hall, and General's Pierre Desruisseaux & Todd Schmidgall.

Preferred Optional Rules: All checked On except for Manual Defensive Fire, Optional Fire Results, Partial Retreats, Line Movement Restrictions, Optional Melee Results, and Multiple Infantry Melees.

Open to negotiations on these rules and others.

Regards,

Last edited by Todd Schmidgall on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:06 pm 
I assume you fellows have picked what you perceive to be a balanced scenario. Does that mean that we will get to pick which side we play?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:17 pm 

Hanoverian's are so picky picky!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:29 pm 
Salute!

Ah, my good Hanoverian General, a pleasure to see you.

'tis the first day of Leipzig, a mighty battle, wherein the Coalition have finally brought their ogre to bay within the bend of the three rivers.

There is the slight advantage of some 30,000 Allied troops...

I think we feel this is a scenario that gives the French a fighting chance.
There are not to my knowledge alternative scenarios to the individual day's of fighting.

We have chosen a single day for the team match as compared to one of the full battle versions that would cover all of the days (3-4) and number into the several hundreds of turns.

We are open to discussion about the rules as indicated above.

Being of La Grande Armee, I believe we will prefer to play the French side, at least in the opening game (and we have tossed the gauntlet down upon the table).

However, I imagine that a discussion can be had about mirror matching the scenario, if one would prefer to travel that route.

Our Bataillon d'Honneur is standing with our Empereur in this His fated hour of destiny.

Regards,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:21 pm 
My dear General Schmidgall, so good to see you again, sir. I have often heard officers sporting about numbers of troops as if the advantage in our battles rests on that factor alone. As you are well aware, I am a seasoned veteran of many engagements, and far from the wide eyed Ensign of my youth. The 30,000 man advantage that you cite means absolutely nothing on this field given the terrain, deployments, command advantage, and troop quality of the French Army. It is, in fact, very easily negated by some rudimentary maneuvering. Just my opinion of course. Others may well see it differently.

I have played the Battle of Leipzig only once, as the French with General Knox as my partner. I well know what the French Army can do on this field. I do not personally ever allow myself to be misled by the history of the event, or any preconceptions of what should occur. I am a simple soldier who studies the map before me with an open mind to all possibilities. In truth, though I hold you and the officers who stand ready to engage by your side in the highest esteem, I have not the time to contest you on the field at this moment, much less to participate in a mirror matched engagement. For any of my Coalition bretheren who might be interested, I would suggest that they do mirror match the engagement if playing the French side is not an option for them in a single game.

I wish you the very best of luck in securing your opponents, General. Perhaps a Prussian team would be brave enough to accept your challenge. I hear they are particularly fierce in battle although, in truth, I seem to recall that it may actually have been a Prussian officer who made that claim to me. :wink: :P :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:42 pm 
The Tirailleur looks expectantly towards the familiar green bottle sitting before the Hanoverian commander and his finely wrought crystal shot glass.

Ahem, I do seem to have begun developing a rather odd taste for the Hunter's liquor.

As for sheer numbers, I agree that they are not always the defining factor of an engagement, unless of course one has double the strength.

Spoken like a seasoned veteran to be sure when you make mention of terrain, troop quality, command, and deployment.

This is 1813, and my experience has shown that the Allies have a considerable advantage in quantity and quality of cavalry and artillery during this campaign.

I have played in a portion of a larger Leipzig operational scenario, as the Allies for a maneuver game.

We played through near the end of the first day's fighting, and although I found an aggressively handled French armee almost more than I could handle (on one of three fronts), I did survive the first day, and had confidence that victory could be gained in subsequent day's of fighting.

Mind you, I did not command my forces as did Schwarzenberg and Wittgenstein.

Pause to glance more determinedly at the green bottle...

Regards,

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:24 pm 

If you fine gentlemen need another player to fill out either side, please send an aide to my tent. I enjoy fighting the Leipzig battle (for either side, at that!)

Best regards.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:29 pm 

Gents, I will be happy to uphold the honor of the Allied Coalition. :D

La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:48 pm 
Salute!

Field Marshal Blackburn, sir, I have yet the memory of facing you and Lucky Jim when you commanded the legions of the Armee of Silesia upon the banks of the Katzbach.

Are you looking to enlist others to your standard, or have you a team in place?

I note that Captain Clawson (Die Ratte) has put forth his name in several of these Bataillon Challenges, and perhaps the two of you can campaign together.

I would be glad to facilitate your communications with him if necessary.

For further discussions you may send your courier to my bivouac in the field.
If you no longer have the map to that place, signal here and I will send my AdC to your quarters.

Regards,

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:02 am 

Scott Clawson and I, and whomever else wishes to participate. If you have his email please forward it to me Todd.

La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:26 am 
Salute!

The courier has been dispatched to your HQ, sir!

Regards,