Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:14 pm 

Near town of Kulm (Chlumec), Bohemia. August 29, 1813.

General Dominique Vandamme, commander I Corps of La Grande Armée, long watched by telescope the foreground. Russian line of Guard Jäger quietly waited for the upcoming battalions of the French Avant-garde! Through their artillery! - said and directed the spyglass on the Russian battery 6-pounder. Cannons shot out! The horses shuddered after salvo. Mishit. It's nothing! - thought.

Next, turned to commander of Avant-garde, monsieur Revest, said with smile: Dinner in Kulm, afternoon tea in Priesten and collation in Teplitz!

Staff echoed laughter.

En Avant, Messieurs!

Scenario 046, JTS Leipzig, Optional rules SON2012.

4ème Division de Dragons,
3ème Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée.

Last edited by Cezary Pluskwa on Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:05 am 

No one from Allied officers? :wink:

3ème Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:04 am 

Monsewer, your courier's horse is still frothing at the mouth from the hard ride to deliver this challenge. Most allied commander's are just now waking up waiting on their servants to serve breakfast. Good thing for you, as an able bodied servant of his Soveriegn Majesty of Spain, I am up early to prepare myself for a days battle or other sundry activities. I will accept your challenge if you are willing. But I do go down for a siesta daily.

So if you will take quill in hand and send me the battle set up to nh260 at msn dot com, I will endeavour to give you a thrashing that you so deserve.

Your servant,

Lloyd's Battery, Royal Artillery
Royal Regiment of Artillery
Reserve Artillery & Engineers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:24 pm 

Meanwhile, when the messenger came out of the tent, the two officers, the Poles, at the headquarters of General Vandamme joked quietly:

What kind of dog has a Spaniard? - spoken one.
Majorka. - answered second. Thinking about the beautiful island, Mallorca!

Majorka in Polish mean in English: He has dog York. :wink:
Battle on!

Sincerely,

3ème Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée.

Last edited by Cezary Pluskwa on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:33 pm 

Madre Dios! I just had dog for breakfast. My servant said it was a French Poodle. Overly laced with fat, a mild lavender taste, yet filling. Hopefully this evening, 6 or 7 hours from now, I can send an opening volley your way.

I can tell already it will be an honour to do battle with you Sir.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:33 pm 

Lieutenant Colonel Pluskwa will enjoy silencing this Spanish braggart!

Battle On...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:02 pm 

" Dinner in Kulm, afternoon tea in Priesten and collation in Teplitz! "

If I may offer .... I have been camped here at this fair hamlet for several weeks now and I have to warn you, the restaurants here are not even up to French standards, which were reported in the latest issue of Zagit 1803, to be very low indeed. It has been widely reported that not even Cossacks will eat here. What does that tell you? So if you are serious about a good meal may I suggest an enfilade to the right and go around my position.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:04 am 

When the bench of French battalions exceeded shallow stream, sleepy line of Russians rapidly moved toward them! Gunners nervously turned cannons! They tried to fire! But the Fusiliers turned to the right, going down from the line of fire!

Sons of the steppe, Lancers and Jägers struck on bayonets and pikes to approaching soldiers! They rejected two companies of voltigeurs, one bataillon d'infanterie de ligne forced to withdraw about 100 meters!

General Dominique Vandamme seeing it, said: Good, old school! Mais perte sont minimale!

Who is commander their? - looked around.

Sir, Barclay de Tolly?! - spoken with awe and disbelief. Might be hard. This is batalia! But, quickly cooled off. He's not even Russian! Mercenary! - thought with smile.

Messieurs! As Russians say: Bullet stupid, bayonet brave! Let's use that! - signaled.

French battalions divided up! Some shot out with muskets, struck with a vengeance! The others still flanked the enemy positions!

Few hundred horsemen, riflemen laying on the field!

3ème Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée.

Last edited by Cezary Pluskwa on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:20 pm 

It appears I was remiss in my preparations for war. I left behind the only key to the padlock that unlocks the chains keeping my men in a fixed position. It is now in a small cottage behind French lines.

What is up with these FIXED units? I have a NIR game where divisions are surrounded and still FIXED. They are going to be really fixed soon, on French bayonets.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:57 pm 
Salute!

Fixed units are a sticky issue to have to deal with.

On the one hand, they help reflect in game turns the characteristics of caution that are to be found in many historical battle situations - or even provide a balancing aspect to otherwise superior forces.

However, in game conduct they can truly wreck havoc upon the play.

There is usually a hex radius (?) that will free the units if an opponent violates it.
Units also unfix if fired upon.

An astute opponent will know these factors and to their best ability avoid causing otherwise immobile units to become an active threat.

Typically I will avoid scenarios that involve fixed units.

Regards,

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:13 pm 
Todd Schmidgall wrote:
Typically I will avoid scenarios that involve fixed units.

As do I. Religiously nearly. :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:50 pm 

The battalions of French soldiery at an accelerated pace began to descend from the slopes towards the village Straden! Pushed backwards curtain of the light troops from huts and houses.

But the Russian artillery watched! Their locations were on the hills! Be heard commands: Огон!, Огон!

Salvos of 12-pound guns did bloody furrows in the ranks! About 300 people knocked out! Ground covers and maneuvers not helped!

Confusion!
Shambles!
Moans and screams!

The French attack as if stood! One battalion took cut and run!
General Revest felt the crisis, shouted: Vive l'Empereur! and led the attack again.

Subsequent batteries felled!
17 guns captured!

The rest fled, some slowly, in the order, towards back to the Guards and Horse artillery!

However, General Vandamme saw the power of the Russian artillery on the ridge, said to General of Infantry Mouton-Duvernet and General of Cavalry Corbineau: Messieurs! Bourgade Straden gained! But at what cost?

Merde! Change of plans! -shouted.
But minor victory we already have! - more calmly.

Look here! - showed.

They bent over the table and studied the map.

They whispered, gesticulating hands, they found a solution.

3ème Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée.

Last edited by Cezary Pluskwa on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:32 pm 

Madre Dios, exclaimed the excited Spanish officer. Inexperienced as he was, he was still wondering how on earth he was dispatched as liaison to the Russians! Was it because he spurned the advances of his Crown Prince's wrinkled wife? Or did the local magistrate complain to the Padre about amorous relations with his two daughters?

So there he postured atop his white stallion, bellowing commands in his native Spanish. And the look on the assembled troops showed him the problem. The officers only spoke Russian and a tolerable French. Thus, no one moved forward! Those 17 guns were going to be missed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:27 am 

At the battlefield there was silence. Seemingly. Occured troop movements. Batteries of guns occupied new positions. Couriers handed out orders to commanders.

Started to rain!
Somewhere suddenly!

To the HQ came rapidly a messenger, panting said: Sire, on the right wing, near the town Karwitz, avant-poste noted some enemy cavalry! They are moving along the creek on a ford in Hierbitz!

Thoughtful General Vandamme, looked up from the map and looked at the young Chasseur. He was wet, dirty, came from afar.

Oui, let's go. - said.

Ordonnance lifted the cover of the tent door. The Frenchman was struck by a light drizzle. He improved bicorne tighter on your head.

Took a few steps on the wet grass and picked up the telescope.

Looked around. He sought them awhile through the veil of drizzle.

In fact, about 600! Oh, no! About 700 riders rode along the stream. Lancers. What? No, it's the Tartars! Reconnaissance and deep workaround Our position. - thoughts.

But, are only suitable for this ... and to plunder, robbery! - said quietly to himself.

While a loud to the HQ staff: They are riding probably on the Tacos! Smiled to all, felt hungry.

Messieurs, it's time for dinner! - appetite prevailed.

Still rained.

3ème Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée.

Last edited by Cezary Pluskwa on Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:57 pm 

This wretched country is no place for a Spaniard, I sighed. I should be drinking strong coffee in Barcelona. Who's idea was this war stuff? Haven't they seen the graffitti on the walls, "Make love, not war"?

Still sitting in my saddle, damp and uncomfortable, I looked backwards over my shoulder and grumbled to myself, These damn Russians! If they would tie their boot laces I could move forward and claim the lost ground. I fear the French will move forward unobstructed and surround me. And these "men" will still be sitting still picking their noses with their bayonets.