Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:03 am 

Although I'm sure there won't be ANY Allied officers brave enough to face the (so far) unbeatable French duo Paco/Nowacki, I'll give it a try. [:D]

Any HPS title, just choose the field and we can discuss the terms.

<center>Maréchal T. Nowacki
<b>V KORPUS ARMII RENU</b>
Comte de Liege
Duc de la Moskova
Chasseurs a Cheval de la Vieille Garde</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:35 pm 

Our dear Frenchies,

what about beating me & Eugene Gulyaev at the walls of Moscow (SB_MoscowNB where the number of infantry is more ballanced thanin WB), a battle we were just refused to be met by some of your mates?

GL. Pavel Stafa
Leib-gvardii Preobrazhenskiy polk
Kommanduyuschiy Korpusom Rezerva
2-oy Zapadnoy armii EIV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:37 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
what about beating me & Eugene Gulyaev at the walls of Moscow (SB_MoscowNB where the number of infantry is more ballanced thanin WB), a battle we were just refused to be met by some of your mates?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

GL Stafa,

My comrade and I were interested in entering upon an engagement that would test our respective strategic and tactical skills. The scenario you suggest entails a frontal assault on entrenched troops and requires the subtlety and finesse of a butcher at work with his cleaver. Frankly, our batons should be withdrawn if we are foolish enough to venture upon an assault which, at best, can result in nothing more than a Phyrric victory. [:p] In Paris we "cross swords" with sabres or rapiers, not meat cleavers.[:o)]

Inasmuch as the simian intelligence of your serf armies apparently precludes any possibility of maneuver (hence the predilection for being on the defensive behind the thickest walls possible[}:)]), I would suggest that you accept a temporary posting to the Austrian Army and meet us on the fields of Bavaria in either the historical or "alternate" Hunting Davout scenarios[8D].

Your Humble Servant,

Paco

<i>Maréchal</i> M. Francisco Palomo
<i>Comte de Marseille
Duc d'Abrantes</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:15 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tomasz</i>
<br />Although I'm sure there won't be ANY Allied officers brave enough to face the (so far) unbeatable French duo Paco/Nowacki, I'll give it a try. [:D]

Any HPS title, just choose the field and we can discuss the terms.

But Sirs... your post says [and I quote] <i>"any HPS title, just choose the field..."</i>. Well, Mr. Stafa chose the field and then you shy away. I am disappointed. [xx(]

If you cannot find satisfaction, please let me know and I will find a second and meet you on a field of YOUR CHOOSING. [^]

FM Sir 'Muddy' Jones, KG
2nd Life Guards, Household Cavalry
CO, Cavalry Corps
Allied CiC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:20 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><b>... and we can discuss the terms.</b>

That's exactly what we're doing!

The field, not necessarily the scenario.
Or you can always suggest "Delay at Landshut" ... [:o)]

Comte de Liege
Duc de la Moskova

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:43 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sir Muddy</i>
But Sirs... your post says [and I quote] <i>"any HPS title, just choose the field..."</i>. Well, Mr. Stafa chose the field and then you shy away. I am disappointed. [xx(]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ken, that's just a prioblem of bad translation. In French, the sentence "any HPS title, just choose the field..." means "say your un-important wish, we then make you play a different title, commanding different army on different battlefield" [:D]. Let's see what does it mean "discuss the terms" then - probably "your army will mainly consist of west-tibetian sharp-horned cavalry and allied players will have to keep their eyes closed, standing on one leg only (right or left, this could be discussed [:D]) for the whole time they are playing" [:D][:D][:D]

GL. Pavel Stafa
2-oy Zapadnoy armii EIV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:12 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by paco</i>
<br />My comrade and I were interested in entering upon an engagement that would test our respective strategic and tactical skills. The scenario you suggest entails a frontal assault on entrenched troops and requires the subtlety and finesse of a butcher at work with his cleaver. Frankly, our batons should be withdrawn if we are foolish enough to venture upon an assault which, at best, can result in nothing more than a Phyrric victory. [:p] In Paris we "cross swords" with sabres or rapiers, not meat cleavers.[:o)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sir,
well, IMHO the scenario we suggested is a real test of strategic skills of both sides (the French NOT ending in headless attack of well-defended thickest part of the wall, the Russians to guard all of their Objectives without being cut and destroyed piecemeal at the same time), but, well, we'll think about "selecting" another field [:D]

GL. Pavel Stafa
2-oy Zapadnoy armii EIV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:40 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Baron</i>
Sir,
well, IMHO the scenario we suggested is a real test of strategic skills of both sides (the French NOT ending in headless attack of well-defended thickest part of the wall, the Russians to guard all of their Objectives without being cut and destroyed piecemeal at the same time), but, well, we'll think about "selecting" another field [:D]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

GL. Stafa,

Perhaps the best way to test our respective <font color="red">strategic</font id="red"> skills would be to embark on an NRC "Campaign." I have not specifically consulted Maréchal Nowacki about this proposal, but I am sure that he would be amenable. That would allow you and your partner to fight on the familiar fields of your <i>Rodina</i> and flee, when necessary, behind your favorite stone walls[:p].

Regards,

Paco

<i>Maréchal</i> M. Francisco Palomo
<i>Comte de Marseille
Duc d'Abrantes</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:08 pm 

Gent,
now we all see why this duo is still unbeatable [:D]

<b>polkovnik Eugene Gulyaev
Leib-Gvardii Semenovskij Polk
27th Infantry Division
8th Infantry Corps
2nd Western Army
</b>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:41 pm 

Polkovnik Gulyaev!
Avoiding hopeless battles (read: meatgrinder) proves our strategic skills as well, don't you think? [;)]

So, if you're too afraid of meeting us at Eckmuhl, where you really could prove your skills (more Austrian than French, but sorry NO thick walls to hide behind [:D]), why not the full NRC campaign?

Comte de Liege
Duc de la Moskova

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:56 am 

Sir,
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">So, if you're too afraid of meeting us at Eckmuhl, where you really could prove your skills (more Austrian than French, but sorry NO thick walls to hide behind [:D]), why not the full NRC campaign?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I have already two campaigns playing, so if you and your comrade would agree for single battle we will be glad to meet you on the battlefield.
What do you think about Twin Peaks battle? Almost equal armies, a plenty of space for maneuvers and no walls[:D].
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Avoiding hopeless battles (read: meatgrinder) proves our strategic skills as well, don't you think? [;)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I think that scenario is not so hopeless, especially for such talanted and experienced players as you both are [;)]

<b>polkovnik Eugene Gulyaev
Leib-Gvardii Semenovskij Polk
27th Infantry Division
8th Infantry Corps
2nd Western Army
</b>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:11 am 

Thick walls are not as formidable as you think. I thought I was safe at Smolensk but Mr Bardon has shown me the errors of my ways. Images of rats in barrels springs to mind.[:(]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:56 am 

Andy,

I have no doubt that Tomasz and I can slog our way through the walls of Moscow, it's just that it simply wouldn't be any fun. [:p] As you know, what I love best are scenarios that place a premium on reconaissance and maneuver, precious little of which is called for in the storming of a city.[V]

Twin Peaks sounds like a reasonable alternative, however, so I'll touch base with Tomasz.

Regards,

Paco

<i>Maréchal M. Francisco Palomo
Comte de Marseille
Duc d'Abrantes
Acting Commandant - IG</i>
CoA - <i>Armee du Nord</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:11 am 

Well I'm enjoying Hunting Davout with Mr Polomo, turn 15 and we are still hunting each other. God, in Bg Waterloo against Barrett it was all over with a loss of 100,000 men. I prefer the reconnaisance to actual combat I have to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:41 pm 

Pavel & Eugene,
we assume, you prefer the Twin Peaks scn. rather than Hunting Davout. It's gonna be pretty tight on the map - over 630.000 men! [:0][:D] It's ok then. We'll contact you directly reg. house and optional rules.

Comte de Liege
Duc de la Moskova