Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:18 am 

I am going to implement a new Night Turn length with the release of the next title I am working on with John Tiller Software - Night turns will be 2 hours long. While this may force me to either change the Dawn or Dusk to a time that was not historical at the same time it will reduce the amount of turns/game files that the players will have to exchange.

This will not affect most scenarios - there are few multi-day scenarios for one and secondly, most players are not moving during night turns anyway. Also - the fatigue recovery seems to require few turns to fully remove all unit fatigue.

The typical night length will be:

8pm to 6am - 5 turns
9pm to 5am - 4 turns
etc.

Where a night march may have occurred I would use the 30 min. night turn length. (but I dont know of any of those in this new title).

I think that this will go a long way to speeding up the process.

Also ...

For the 15 Min. format scenarios I will be simply multiplying the movement rates of the 10 min. move format (default) by 1.5 as well as any other changes that need to be made to increase the movement abilities of units.

I plan on having 15 Min. format scenarios for any scenario over 50 turns. The shorter ones will not add that much time to the play of the scenario (i.e. a 36 turn scenario is only 24 turns in the 15 min. format but the extra 12 turns are not going to mean that much more when compared to a longer 600 turn scenario being reduced to 396 turns (a tad under 400).

Current MP rates for the 10 Min. format are:
16 for infantry, artillery and wagons
21 for cavalry

New MP rates for the 15 Min. format are:
24 for infantry, artillery and wagons
32 for cavalry

For those of you used to the Waterloo/NRC 15 turn format I will have a guide on how you can convert any 10 min. scenario to that format if you care to do so. I no longer personally support that format and feel that keeping to an incremental approach to the 10 min. format would work better. At the same time I dont want to leave the NRC format out so the guide will be included to placate any of those that like it.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:58 pm 

Nice to hear that you're working on a new JT title :thumbsup: , I really hope it plugs the gab in the 1805-15 timeframe. :frenchcharge:

But I have to wonder why you want to switch back to 15 minutes :frenchshock: , as far as I know the early games were 15 minutes and you decided to switch to 10 minutes for some good reasons :frenchvive1: .

May I quote from your Jena Auerstedt notes:
"Campaign Jena-Auerstedt uses a 10 minute day turns and 30 minute night turns. This
was something that had been discussed for some time on various discussion boards in
an attempt to allow the players to react to enemy movement. The defender is able to react
in a more historical timeframe as a result.
Initial reactions by the Playtesters to a 10 minute move were mixed. Some thought it
would slow the game down too much. However, all of the Playtesters agreed after several
games that they preferred the new turn length given that the game didnt have any way for
the non-phasing player's infantry to form square prior to a charge. It also allowed artillery
to limber up and move away from a potentially dangerous situation."

Besides that I think 10 minutes are favored, I know we had either here or on another board a discussion about the early titles and that many still would like to see the scenarios of these games reworked from 15 to 10 minute or at least get an additional version that uses 10 minutes.
Currently there is a bit talk about reworking the historical scenario of the Waterloo game and the aim there will likely be 10 minutes too(at least on the one I would like to rework).

I would understand doing 15 minutes in a scenario benefits from this but unless this is the case I would prefer 10 minutes.
:frenchsalute:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:39 pm 

My default turn format remains 10 mins for the scenarios. What I am saying is that for those scenarios where I use a 15 min. format I am going to use a different MP allotment. See the Leipzig game where I added in scenarios that use the 15 min. format. These are included only for those that insist on playing the 15 min. format.

I will also include a sample PDT file for the NRC/Waterloo format for those that want to use them. They will be able to easily substitute the values in the new 15 min. format with those of the older format.

I really would like to convert the Eckmuhl and Wagram games to the NRC/Waterloo format and then add in 10 min scenarios for the shorter scenarios. Folks are saying that the 10 min. format for multi day battles are making the game drag out.

Of course, I dont know too many of the scenarios in Leipzig, Bautzen or 1814 that are multi-day format that actually get to the 2nd day. Most guys send their armies into battle and decide it on the first day.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:22 pm 

Ah OK, sorry I misunderstood that.
Good to see you abandon the format of Waterloo & NRC and I'm looking forward to your 15 minute sample PDTs for Waterloo & NRC, maybe I can deduce a 10 minute PDT of it if you don't mind.