<
             Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC) Forums
*    NWC     NWC Staff     NWC Rules     NWC (DoR) Records    About Us     Send Email Inquiry to NWC
*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général        La Grande Armée Officer Records     Join La Grande Armée
*   Allied Coalition    Allied Officers     Join Coalition
*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army    Anglo Allied Army (AAA)    Russian Corps

Military Books, Magazines, Games for sale (see other items)
Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Changing Old Titles to the Ten Minute Turn.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:11 pm 

I love talking about this stuff and getting a better sense of Napoleonic tactics and battlefield reality. I don't think every contentious point can be argued too much because even if either party doesn't agree at least they flesh out their own concepts better.

Simple things like how men fought using either 2 or 3 rank line volleys and in what order the elements fired is very important to a tactical game system. If the 2 rank system had ~67% the firepower per frontage area than the 3 rank system as I claim than an opposite ruleset would be deeply flawed. All the French officers would have read the 60s manual and the 90s. I don't think there were any further firing regulation changes. The 1808 and '12 regulations deal with organization and formation changes only. I don't know though because naturally the US is full of hobbiest/enthusiast shills trying to get published rather than actual historical analysts (preferably with related military experience) willing to read and translate contemporary documents and accounts. So, I read what documentation I can find and make assumptions based on my own instincts as a former soldier.

>It's just common sense that men within musket shot are going to be active in returning fire in some way really.
What this means is not by regulation but, by presense alone men are going to try and kill those who are threatening their lives and killing their comrades. Despite regulations cavalrymen would break formation to hack up sharpshooters for instance. A third rank as casualty filing and possible redeployable reserve is a valid tactic. I doubt men would appreciate seeing others dieing before and beside them while standing one pace behind the firing line though.

2ème Division,
1er Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:22 pm 

Just wish the thread would stay "On Topic." This was Jeff's thread asking how to do something and its become something entirely different.

Maybe start a new thread in the future if you are going to take it off topic. :thumbsup:

Infanterie-Brigade Hessen-Kassel
Königlich-Preußisches Armee-Korps
Scenario Designer for Napoleonic Battles series - John Tiller Software
http://friendsofwargaming.com/support-bill-peters.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:41 pm 

Hehe, yeah we're a little off base. I could reiterate my last statement concerning the 10/15 minute turns. If their firepower quotients are balanced for either than why aren't they different due to the scale of time. The 15 minute musket fire should be 1.5x higher than 10 minute musket value. Likewise the unit type movement rates should be 150% while the MP costs remain the same. 10 minute values aren't perfect but the original Waterloo parameters are just awful. If firepower and movement rates were corrected than 15min would be playable. Anything higher probably would require a scaling difference but, would be possible (with house rules) and offer greater operational atmosphere.

2ème Division,
1er Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:32 pm 

Sorry Bill, if Geoff wants to discuss this further he should open a new thread and we could go on.
Just as a last point some post from napoleon-series.org:
http://www.napoleon-series.org/cgi-bin/ ... ;id=186401

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:00 am 

Hehe, yeah we're a little off base. I could reiterate my last statement concerning the 10/15 minute turns. If their firepower quotients are balanced for either than why aren't they different due to the scale of time. The 15 minute musket fire should be 1.5x higher than 10 minute musket value. Likewise the unit type movement rates should be 150% while the MP costs remain the same. 10 minute values aren't perfect but the original Waterloo parameters are just awful. If firepower and movement rates were corrected than 15min would be playable. Anything higher probably would require a scaling difference but, would be possible (with house rules) and offer greater operational atmosphere.

LOL Geoff .. I have been guilty of it in the past too.

On the firepower angle - actually I would like to reduce the fire values of the infantry by 1/3 if anything for the 10 min. turns. We see a lot more losses in the 10 min. turn format than in the 15 min. format. Melee losses are too high too where it regards cavalry vs. cavalry.

Onwards and upwards ...

Infanterie-Brigade Hessen-Kassel
Königlich-Preußisches Armee-Korps
Scenario Designer for Napoleonic Battles series - John Tiller Software
http://friendsofwargaming.com/support-bill-peters.html

Profile E-mail