Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Locked Topic
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:39 am 

Gents
Just locked "Gift" thread for obvious reasons I think[:)]
I didnt really want to delete but as the originator was John I will if he so requests[?]
Or indeed unlock it if that were his wish[;)]

Field Marshal Sir "Lucky" Jim (K.G.)
Commander
Divisie Nederlandsche Kavallerie, 1st. Corps
Allied/Dutch Army
"And let my sword not sleep in my hand"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:02 am 

I don't believe it should be deleted as good conversion was made there somewhere...[:p]

But I will make a post sometime this week with suggestions to questions that were rasied in it and see if the new Government will take them into consideration. [:D]

<center>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com"]<b>General der Infanterie Scott Ludwig</b>[/url]

Kommandeur
3. Infanterie-Brigade and Aide-du-Camp
I. Armee Korps
Heer am Niederrhein
[url="http://www.prussianarmy.com"]Preußische Armee[/url]

Kommandeur
Garde-Artillerie
[url="http://scott-ludwig.com/NWC/Prussia/Garde.htm"]Preußische Armee Garde-Brigade[/url]

Prinz von Saxe-Weimar
(Prince of Saxe-Weimar)
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:23 am 

Great. Sounds good Scott. Please get in touch with Ken Jones and John Corbin on how you think the system should work as they will be the main points of contact for all Allied members (mainly Ken and anyone he delegates to help with this). We want to discuss this openly of course but the real grunt work gets done in the background as you know from being a website host. Forums give us a perspective but the guys like you make it happen.

Hopefully the ball gets rolling on this and we get some good input from all of you guys that make this club go.

Oberst Wilhelm Peters
2nd Kuirassiers, Reserve Korps, Austrian Army
[url="http://www.acwgc.org/acwgc_members/burr/Austrian%20Army/Bill_Peters.htm"]Officer Battle Dossier[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:38 am 

my personal view is it is truly a f***ing a shame to start blaming like thatpeople who are <u>devoted</u> & <u>active</u> club members ,who have been continuously contributing <b>FOR FREE</b> (I insist on this - <b>FOR FREE</b>) to the club either through games, goodies, own websites, icon & maps design etc...

What would the scenario library look like? or the (now-dead) Matchmaker? not to speak about the numerous free add-ons contributions from various people, including outside this forum (Cobexlaw, NIR Projetc, NW Germany, etc...)

If this reflects the brand new Presidency' tone & internal policy, then all I have to say is

"one million lives to President Kim " (Mao would suit, too)[xx(][:(][V]

Guillaume AYMONIER-AMELINE
Comte de Strasbourg
Duc de Ratisbonne

Maréchal de France

1er Rgt de Grenadiers à Cheval
VIEILLE GARDE

1ère Brig./ 3ème Div° Cavalerie Légère
IIIeme Corps d'Armée
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:45 am 
Guillaume,

I take you saw <i>Milo and Otis</i>, too? I see it left you feeling tense, and frustrated.

Relax and watch a calming film like <i>Waterloo</i> or <i>Zulu</i>, you'll feel much better.

Oh and stay away from <i>March of the Penguins</i>.

Colonel Al Amos
1er Dragoons
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:08 am 

Bit of a funny thread that one...

Al, this March of the Penguins is starting to freak me out. It's a film right? About penguins? It's a documentary?

Sod it, I'll just Google it...

<font color="orange">Majoor Peter Robinson
Commander I Corps
[url="http://www.geocities.com/militaireacademie"]Koninklijke Militaire Academie[/url] Adjutant
3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards</font id="orange">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:12 am 

<i>'They have wings: but cannot fly'</i>

Man that's deep.

Now I am freaked out. What braniac decided to throw a few million $$ into producing this kinda stuff?

<font color="orange">Majoor Peter Robinson
Commander I Corps
[url="http://www.geocities.com/militaireacademie"]Koninklijke Militaire Academie[/url] Adjutant
3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards</font id="orange">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:14 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SansSouci</i>
<br /><i>'They have wings: but cannot fly'</i>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So have armies.

<center>
D.S. "Green Horse" Walter, Maréchal d'Empire
Baron d'Empire, Duc des Pyramides
Commandant de la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3ème Division[/url], VIème Corps Bavarois, L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/EdM_start.htm"]L'Ecole de Mars[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant de la Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:17 am 
Film? Yes.

Documentary? Yes.

About Penguins? Maybe. It could just be a fantasy about the Prussian Army in Antartica. They are uniformed. But I can't tell if its French blue or Prussian black. hehehe....[:p]

Dierk's right, b'god! Armies have wings but can't fly. It must be a very deep psychological film about the life of the Prussian army as it moved from death under Napoleon to life under freedom during a harsh winter's march!

...and they look like Emperor Penguins! Mein Gott! [:o)]

Colonel Al Amos
1er Dragoons
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:31 am 

Now wait a minute! I got stuck watching March of the Penguins with my daughter. I thought it was going to be time to take a nap in the dark but found it a bit fascinating. It is about the Emperor penguin in particuer (makes it applicable to the board). What they do to propagate the species is down right amazing. They all waddel along about 70 miles to some spot and mate. Over the next several months in the dead of winter either the male of female hangs out in the same spot with either the egg or the baby (when they hatch). They just hang out in the same spot huddled up against winter storms. Months on end without food. Pretty amazing. So please no more of this penguin hate [:)]

Now off to study for my new career as a marine biologist (inspred by the movie and George Castanza)

Oberst John O'Day
3. Westphaelische Landwehr
3. Infanterie-Brigade
I. Armeekorps
Armee des Niederrhein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:35 am 
"They all waddel along about 70 miles to some spot and mate."

It is about the Prussians!
---

"So please no more of this penguin hate"

I dunno its a hard 'habit' to break. (Catholic School humor, sorry.) [:p]

Colonel Al Amos
1er Dragoons
AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:42 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Al Amos</i>
<br />"They all waddel along about 70 miles to some spot and mate."

It is about the Prussians!
---

"So please no more of this penguin hate"

I dunno its a hard 'habit' to break. (Catholic School humor, sorry.) [:p]

Colonel Al Amos
1er Dragoons
AdN

Least our speices is not mak believe...Mr. Dragoon....[:D][:D]

<center>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com"]<b>General der Infanterie Scott Ludwig</b>[/url]

Kommandeur
3. Infanterie-Brigade and Aide-du-Camp
I. Armee Korps
Heer am Niederrhein
[url="http://www.prussianarmy.com"]Preußische Armee[/url]

Kommandeur
Garde-Artillerie
[url="http://scott-ludwig.com/NWC/Prussia/Garde.htm"]Preußische Armee Garde-Brigade[/url]

Prinz von Saxe-Weimar
(Prince of Saxe-Weimar)
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:40 pm 

March of the Penguin was a very good movie/documentary... Great to watch during the summer (you are cold at the end of the movie). And even children can like it...

And... no wonder it was made by a French team...[:)]

I recommand it.[;)]

<font color="green"> <b>Général de Division David Guégan Comte de Toulon, Duc de Nimes</b>
Co 11eme division
III Corps, AdN
Co Division d'Infanterie de la Jeune Garde, Garde Impériale Image

http://home.earthlink.net/~davidguegan/</font id="green">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:14 am 

Ouch !!!! [B)]

Away from the buttons for a few days, and people immediately start to talk about me !!! Well, about the work that I do then...

[B)]

The idea of an automated game registration is not new. In fact, when my predecessor left, the same idea surfaced. However, it was quickly dropped. Maybe for the reason that I stepped in???

[8D]

No, problem is that it is difficult for people to fill in game forms 100% correct! Not because they are stuped, or because they do it on purpose. But just because they are human!

[8)]

Some examples of inconsistencies I come across, which are sometimes very difficult to detect or correct by an automated system, and which are tackled by me whenever possible:

- Incorrect email adresses;
- Different spelling of names of opponents, or the use of aliases, surnames, nicknames;
- Wrong army / unit;
- Countless differences in battles (NIR-project, custom made), different spelling of names (Majaroslawets???);
- Fight / manoeuvre / training;
- MOE games with different point counting;
- Handling the 'comments';
- etc., etc.

All things that are 'easily' corrected by a person with at least an average IQ like me... [:p]

But how on earth could we automate this without having to add a lot of corrections manually and in an even more time consuming way?

Do not understand me wrong; I work a lot with computers and know how to make good use of their possibilities. However, I also believe that some things are still handled best manually...

These are my comments. Now shoot...

[^]

Regards....

<font color="orange">Luitenant-Generaal Geert "The General" van Uythoven
Commander in Chief of the
Anglo-Allied Army

http://home.wanadoo.nl/g.vanuythoven/home.htm
</font id="orange">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:36 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by geert</i>
<br />Ouch !!!! [B)]

Away from the buttons for a few days, and people immediately start to talk about me !!! Well, about the work that I do then...

[B)]

The idea of an automated game registration is not new. In fact, when my predecessor left, the same idea surfaced. However, it was quickly dropped. Maybe for the reason that I stepped in???

[8D]

No, problem is that it is difficult for people to fill in game forms 100% correct! Not because they are stuped, or because they do it on purpose. But just because they are human!

[8)]

Some examples of inconsistencies I come across, which are sometimes very difficult to detect or correct by an automated system, and which are tackled by me whenever possible:

- Incorrect email adresses;
- Different spelling of names of opponents, or the use of aliases, surnames, nicknames;
- Wrong army / unit;
- Countless differences in battles (NIR-project, custom made), different spelling of names (Majaroslawets???);
- Fight / manoeuvre / training;
- MOE games with different point counting;
- Handling the 'comments';
- etc., etc.

All things that are 'easily' corrected by a person with at least an average IQ like me... [:p]

But how on earth could we automate this without having to add a lot of corrections manually and in an even more time consuming way?

Do not understand me wrong; I work a lot with computers and know how to make good use of their possibilities. However, I also believe that some things are still handled best manually...

These are my comments. Now shoot...

[^]

Regards....

<font color="orange">Luitenant-Generaal Geert "The General" van Uythoven
Commander in Chief of the
Anglo-Allied Army

http://home.wanadoo.nl/g.vanuythoven/home.htm
</font id="orange">

Geerty...

You raise interesting points that I shall attempt to answert:

- Incorrect email adresses

Not data will be loaded into the database that has not been verified by the COA of the armies first.

- Different spelling of names of opponents, or the use of aliases, surnames, nicknames.

Names will be standard first name/last names. no nick names and yes these will all be verified first.

- Wrong army / unit.

See the above as to verification.

- Scenario names etc.

Will be made avaialb via drop down lists. All scenarion anmes will also include the filenames that are associated with them. Custom scenarios are included.

- Type of game ( Fight, Maneuver, training )

all taken care off. Included will be the option for tournament games that are exceptiosn to the scoring rules for maneuver game rules.

Note that this will be database driven and info can be provided to post on the web if required.

This site will be alogin type of sityev with a username and password
type of setup.

Monsieur le Marechal John Corbin
Chief of Staff
La Grande Armee