Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:34 pm 
Can anyone recommend books on the Prussian/Polish Campaign of 1806/07, other than L. F. Petre? I don't mind reading 100-years-old stuff, but if there's anything newer/better ... ?

<center>
D.S. "Green Horse" Walter, Maréchal d'Empire
Duc des Pyramides, Comte de Normandie
Commandant la [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/3_VI_AdR_Home.htm"]3e Division Bavaroise[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant [url="http://home.arcor.de/dierk_Walter/NWC/EdM_start.htm"]L'Ecole de Mars[/url], L'Armée du Rhin
Commandant la Brigade de Tirailleurs de la Jeune Garde
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:48 pm 

There is a new book just out called "Napoleon's Polish Gamble" by Christopher Summerville published by Pen & Sword books, that covers that said campaign. I have read his previous book "March of Death" about the Corunna campaign which was excellent.

<b><center><font color="red">Lieutenant
2nd Battlion
95th Regiment of Foot
II Corps
Anglo-Allied Army</font id="red"></center></b>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:40 am 

Try :

<font color="orange">Capaigns in Poland, 1806 and 1807</font id="orange"> by Sir Robert Wilson (IMO, a rather myopic point of view covering the Russians that does have fairly good maps.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/186980 ... e&n=283155

<font color="orange">Napoleon's Army</font id="orange"> by Col. H.C.B. Rogers (This has two good chapters covering the French Third Corps at Auerstadt and in Poland.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/088254 ... e&n=283155

Colonel Rick Motko
1er Bataillon, 33° Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
2eme Brigade, 11eme division
IIIe corps, Armée du Nord

Vive l'Empereur!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:00 pm 

Of course for a lighter work and more colorful one(s) you can always get the books by Hourtoulle. They are great for their uniform plates and the text is not bad.

I must say that for one of the two major campaigns of the Napoleonic wars these two are only lightly covered.

Three Napoleonic battles by Parker covers Friedland (Waterloo and Aspern-Essling). The Osprey book on the campaign of 1806 is decent.

However, not one modern work that has any depth has come out on these campaigns and frankly it stinks. I understand the need for a new Waterloo book now and then and certainly the Hofschroder (sp) books are good but wouldnt it be wonderful if someone would do 1805-1807 once in awhile in detail. 1805 HAS gotten quite a bit of attention lately as have the Revolutionary Wars.

1806 is highly neglected (what Prussian wants to write of it?) as is 1807.

Do you have the Kevin Zucker OSG game on both campaigns? He usually has good bibliography material. Al Amos might have a list of books.

Atlas of Nap Wars has a good writeup about it. Scholarly? Not sure as I dont even pretend to be a scholar.

I am glad to see the material on Italy come out. Rivoli should be a good read and I hope to finish the book on Suvarov.

I will keep you posted if I see something on 1806-7.

Bill Peters
Former NWC President, Club Founder, Prussian and Austrian Army Founder, Stefan Reuter's hunting buddy. HPS Napoleonic Scenario Designer (Eckmuhl, Wagram)

[url="http://www.fireandmelee.net"]Fire and Melee Wargame site[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:44 pm 

I'd could recommend you some books but they are in Russian:
A. Mihailovsky-Danilevsky - The war of Alexander the 1st witn Napoleon of 1806-1807 - the official Russian account of campaign, written in 1840-th.
V. Shikanov - The First Polish Campaign - this is the latest account written in 2000, but the author looks mainly from the French side.

The classical account of the campaign 1806-1807 (including Iena) is written by the German author Lettow-Forbek in the 19th century. It contains 4 detailed volumes. I met this work in Russian, probably its German variant exists somewhere too.

Major V. Komissarenko
Vincent (La Tour) Chevaulegers
KUK Osterreichische armee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:53 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />.......... wouldnt it be wonderful if someone would do 1805-1807 once in awhile in detail...................

Bill Peters

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Bill,
Certainly one aspect of that time is being covered in great detail. Its currently at the printers and it is called <font color="orange">Napoleon's Finest</font id="orange">. It is the latest work by Scott Bowden.

While its not cheap, it is an incredible limited edition study.

Check out here :

http://www.militaryhistorypress.com/Nap ... inest.html

<font color="orange">---------------

Translation and Commentary by Scott Bowden

Napoleon's Grande Armée of 1805–1807 was one of history's greatest armies, and the 3rd Corps under the command of Marshal Louis Davout achieved feats of arms seldom if ever equaled in the annals of military history. Davout's command reached its apogee of glory on 14 October 1806 at the celebrated Battle of Auerstädt. Outnumbered by more than two to one by the Prussians, Marshal Davout's superb 26,000-man corps defeated and put to flight the proud descendants of the army of Frederick the Great.

Marshal Davout's military papers, presented to the French Ministry for War in 1874 by his heirs, represent an invaluable primary source to the study of the first campaigns of Emperor Napoleon's new Grande Armée. These include the actual after-action reports filed by Davout's brigade, division, and other commanders and they detail the marches and combat these officers personally directed. They provide an amazing historical window on the campaigns in Germany and Poland.

The original book, titled Opérations du 3e Corps, was published by Davout's nephew in 1896. It has never been available in the English language — until now. Our new book, the first translation of the original into English by award-winning author and historian Scott Bowden, features additional analysis, color maps, color orders of battle, officer biographies, and other material designed to supplement the original work and place it in context.
--------------------------------</font id="orange">

Cheers,
Rick

Colonel Rick Motko

Vive l'Empereur!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:48 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Tondu</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />.......... wouldnt it be wonderful if someone would do 1805-1807 once in awhile in detail...................

Bill Peters

Bill,
Certainly one aspect of that time is being covered in great detail. Its currently at the printers and it is called <font color="orange">Napoleon's Finest</font id="orange">. It is the latest work by Scott Bowden.

While its not cheap, it is an incredible limited edition study.

Check out here :

http://www.militaryhistorypress.com/Nap ... inest.html

<font color="orange">---------------

Translation and Commentary by Scott Bowden

Napoleon's Grande Armée of 1805–1807 was one of history's greatest armies, and the 3rd Corps under the command of Marshal Louis Davout achieved feats of arms seldom if ever equaled in the annals of military history. Davout's command reached its apogee of glory on 14 October 1806 at the celebrated Battle of Auerstädt. Outnumbered by more than two to one by the Prussians, Marshal Davout's superb 26,000-man corps defeated and put to flight the proud descendants of the army of Frederick the Great.

Marshal Davout's military papers, presented to the French Ministry for War in 1874 by his heirs, represent an invaluable primary source to the study of the first campaigns of Emperor Napoleon's new Grande Armée. These include the actual after-action reports filed by Davout's brigade, division, and other commanders and they detail the marches and combat these officers personally directed. They provide an amazing historical window on the campaigns in Germany and Poland.

The original book, titled Opérations du 3e Corps, was published by Davout's nephew in 1896. It has never been available in the English language — until now. Our new book, the first translation of the original into English by award-winning author and historian Scott Bowden, features additional analysis, color maps, color orders of battle, officer biographies, and other material designed to supplement the original work and place it in context.
--------------------------------</font id="orange">

Cheers,
Rick

Colonel Rick Motko

Vive l'Empereur!

Yup, have noted this book and might buy it.

Bill Peters
Former NWC President, Club Founder, Prussian and Austrian Army Founder, Stefan Reuter's hunting buddy. HPS Napoleonic Scenario Designer (Eckmuhl, Wagram)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:49 pm 

Bill

Or save your money and download the original for free from the French Gallica site. You will need to be able to read French of course!

Regards

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:53 pm 

In regard to the original question, try here:

http://www.napoleon-series.org/

Select the military section and then the year of your choice. There might be some papers on the subject.

Regards

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:58 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mark Eason</i>
<br />Or save your money and download the original for free from the French Gallica site. You will need to be able to read French of course!
Mark! May we ask for a little more details[:I]

<center>Image</center>
<center><b>Eyo Imperatorskogo Velichestva Leib-Kirassirskogo polku
General-Mayor Anton Valeryevich Kosyanenko
commander of Little Russian grenadiers regiment</b></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:32 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kosyanenko</i>
Mark! May we ask for a little more details[:I]

But of course.

The Gallica website is a French national on-line library with a wealth of works available for download. Our French colleagues could probably describe it better than I can.

Anyway, it is located here:

http://gallica.bnf.fr/

When you get there, select the Recherche button, and you are then able to search for works by:-

Title word
Author
Subject
or Free search

I tend to use the latter unless I know what I am looking for !

Try typing something like Davout 1807 into the Recherche Libre box then pressing the Rechercher button.

It will bring up a number of works that you can then look at the words found in the document to see if it is relevant; you can open the book as a pdf file and browse it on-line, or you can download it as a pdf file. This gets addictive and I now have a large pile of discs with books I someday hope to read [:)]

The nuber of books there is constantly growing and it is an absolutely invaluable resource.

I tip my hat to the French for their effort in this regard, it really is magnificent.

Happy searching

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:46 pm 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/184415 ... e&n=283155

Link for Summerville book on the campaign of 1807.

I might buy it.

Bill Peters