Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:13 pm 

<font color="pink">Covered in the detritus of battle, feathers smoke-stained, (one even a bit bent), Barrett strides into the bar. He wipes his forehead of soot, picks a bit of gristle out of his teeth. He holds aloft the greatest artifact of all true warriors: a short rod of blue velvet, with gold eagles embossed upon it. "This, gentlemen", he announces, as the bar-rabble stares his way in anticipatory concern, "this", he repeats, "is the baton of a Marshal of France." He pauses a moment for dramatic effect. "But not just ANY baton of a Marshal of France- no indeed- rarified though such a thing is, and though most of you don't even qualify to look upon it. THIS baton, gentlemen, is the very first baton of a Marshal of France EVER EARNED upon the soil of England. This baton was earned bashing my way into Dover, messieurs. Though lots of soldiers dropped as a result of my ambition, and Dover is now held by a garrison primarily comprised of beverage wagons and leader units, the Emperor was amply satisfied, which frankly is all that ever matters. Messieurs, and other officers, this night I hold no grudges, howsoever much some of you deserve it. Tonight, bartend, crack open your barrel of finest Armagnac, this is a rare event indeed, and has been many years in the making. My thanks to all the little people who made this possible, and even moreso, the greater ones - you will know who you are. I have brought you a wagon full of English maidens by way of booty; they are rather noisy, but buxom, and I sacrifice them to your revelry this night. Merci, and vive l'Empereur!" </font id="pink">

Marshal Barrett,
Duc de Ligny, Comte de Brienne,
Commander, VI (Bavarian) Corps, Army of the Rhine,
and
la 1er Compagnie d'Artillerie de la Vieille Garde

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:50 pm 

The slightly muddied and greying English officer of cavalry chuckles as the newly appointed Marshal of Franch makes his speech. "Well I'll be a horse's ass, that little French bugger finally got on the good side of the Emperor. Not that he doesn't deserve it, Barrett has certainly been around long enough and has felt the sharp side of my sword sure enough, but it just seems like everyone in the Grand Armee is a Marshal. And what is all this gibberish about invading England? I bet he's never even seen the English Channel."

Ah heck, I'll drink his Armagnac anyway. [^]

FM Sir 'Muddy' Jones, KG
2nd Life Guards, Household Cavalry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:51 pm 

<font size="5"><b><font color="teal">HUZZAH !</font id="teal"></b></font id="size5">

Well done, Maréchal Barrett. And I note that you made sure to save the wagons, an excellent tactical choice.

Jeff Bardon
Duc de Castiglione
Prince de Wagram
Commandant de la Vieille Garde
Marechal de l'Empire
CiC- La Grande Armee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:05 pm 

The Marechal sits at his table with Eason and Bardon... He recalls the joy of winning his Baton but cannot recall the field upon which it was won.

He also notes the sad expressions upon the faces of the allied officers currently huddled at the back of the tavern, in the shadows. Marechal Barrett speaks wisely he muses.

With the baton comes the right to be referred to as Monsieur le Marechal.. so he does....

"Monsieur le Marechal Barrett, if you would be so kind as to join us at our table.. Pierre, a cask of my private stock please. We have much to celebrate"

Monsieur le Marechal Baron John Corbin
Duc de Paive
Commanding the Division de Cavalerie de la Jeune Garde
NWC President

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:52 pm 

Huzzah mon Marechal!

You have fought long and hard to reach this one.

I will help you drain this barrique and offer you another.

May you and t he rest of the Bavarians continue your glorious march!

<b>Général de Division Michael Cox</b>
<font size="4"><i>Principe <font size="1">della </font id="size1">Toscana</i></font id="size4">
Comte de Moselle
<i><font size="4">Armée du Rhin</font id="size4">
<font size="2">2e battallion, 1er Regiment de Chasseurs a Pied, Inf. de l'V. Gde.</i></font id="size2">
<center>Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:11 pm 

<i>Sacre bleu!</i> I never thought I'd see the day when Barrett, of the Vth, was lured away from his abominable hops and barley brews[:D]! I suppose a baton changes many things, including the tastes of the man who wields one[:p].

In any case, I would be happy to share your Armagnac and ensure that the new finery is suitably wetted[:p].

Congartulations on a richly deserved promotion!

Regards,

Paco

<i>Maréchal</i> M. Francisco Palomo
<i>Prince d'Essling, Grande Duc d'Abrantes et
Comte de Marseille
Commandant - Division de Cavalerie de la Vieille Garde </i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:08 pm 

The irony of the situation it was an HPS game and he spent all 18 turns complaining bitterly as his Guard disintegrated - why could 2000 grenadiers not storm a wall which finally fell to 90 pioneers? Awful graphics; The single phase system which resulted in 100 guns being lost; Only 1000 cavalry which were lost in any event by turn 4.

The English militia did well and achieved an honourable draw! Don't listen too much to that braggart. You'd think from his post that he actually won! My cavalry had free range over the countryside and the remainder of the infantry (all 60 of them)were in the city centre fort where both sides reached an impasse. And the captured maidens will give him and his remaining 40 men a lot more than he wants or desires.

From now on I shall be known as The Baton Maker. That's 2 I've created now.

Generalissimo
Opolchenie Korpus
Russian Army