Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:56 pm 

Gentlemen,
I just finished playing Borodino from New Settings Project and I am very impressed.

I would love to apply these settings to all of my battles from BG series.
I am confident with changes of OOB files but I have no idea how to change PDT files.

I wonder how feasible is that to change the PDT and run the game smoothly. Can someone provide me with line by line explanation of PDT files. I could figure out only line 10 which I believe represents movement ability (12 12 12 10 in original NIR and 12 15 12 9 in NIR New Settings). I also identified lines representing firepower but did nt understand the logic behind the figures.

In addition to New Set Project I think that artillery firepower should be reduced. My last Borodino battle lasted only two and half hours but more then 70,000 men were killed and artillery was the biggest butcher on the map!!! I believe these are completely unrealistic casualties.

The next battle me and my opponent decided to move on is Leipzig.
Searching archived posts I found that about a year ago our beloved Generalissimo Andy Moss was working on a project of converting Leipzig original PDT to New Settings Leipzig PDT. Andy, could you please email me the files if you still have them to alexnir@rambler.ru

By the way, how do I get the games from NIR Project? Do I just send the money and get the CDs?

Thnx

Shtabs-Captain Alexey Tartyshev
Moscow Grenadiers Regiment
2nd Grenadier Division
8th Infantry Corps
2nd Army of the West (NWC)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:55 pm 

Alexey

New Settings are indeed good. I have indeed modified the PDT for Leipzig, and created a new more accurate OOB. And units and Leaders BMP. And new LoS. Nirproject maps for some reason always have big problems with their LoS file. I never completed the scenario modifications due to lack of time. Without the scenario then the other files will not work. You are welcome to have all the work I have currently done. The nirproject OOB and scenarios are just too inaccurate. It would not take too much time to complete the scenario I think. Write to me if you wish. I am now working on an HPS-Cobexlaw mod for that battle with Tim Cavallin.

Nirproject. Yes you send your money and get the disks. Generally I would not bother. Their artillery are killing machines. Bad LoS. Amongst other issues. Good starting point though and you can modify all files as you wish. J M Barbier is/was very helpful.

I have a line by line explanation for the PDT. I don't think the website where I got it from exists any longer however. I am happy to answer any questions you may have. The HPS PDT is similar so look at this website for an explanation.

http://www.cobexlaw.com/campaign/eckmuhl.htm

Generalissimo
Opolchenie Korpus
Russian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:20 am 

If you open up the PDT file itself, and go to the parameter data table in the notes, you can compare the numbers and figure out quite a bit of the data yourself. There are a few I have not figured out yet, and some are not in the same sequence as listed in the notes PDT, but most of the major stuff, such as unit size increment, fatigue and casualty effect, stacking limits, game turn duration, sunrise/sunset, movement and combat modifiers, (you have apparently already figured out movement) are discernable.
I also set up a 3 turn mini battle with a couple of units of each type to test each change and see if it did what I thought and wanted it would do.

Ensign William Davis
23rd (Royal Welsh) Fusiliers
4th British Brigade
Anglo-Allied Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:20 pm 

Thanks for the link Andy. I got most of the info I was interested in.
With a help of this link I applied some of the major features from New Settings to PTW pdt file and amazingly it worked!!! : )

Andy, as far as I understand I have two options:

Option 1:
To apply your uncompleted files, but then I will have to finish them.
What do I have to finish and how easy it would be for you to explain?

Option 2:
To change what ever I can. That is:
1. Movement allowance data
2. Strengths for breaking down units
3. Weapon Effectiveness Table
4. Fire Power Table
5. OOB file (mainly unit quality data)
6. Values per loss of 25 cav, 25 inf, 1 artil
I wonder if the game will run after these changes or I ll have to do change something else? Even if it will run then I will have inaccurate and unhistorical map, leaders, buggy LOS.

I appreciate your help.

2nd Grenadier Division
8th Infantry Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:50 am 

Alexey

Modifying the PDT table yourself is not a good idea. There are for instance a lot of new artillery types in NSP.

Completing the scenario I have started is the easiest option. I completed the Northern Front which was very complicated. If you are familiar with Bg Scenario Editor it is easy. All you need then is a good sourcebook for unit placements, reinforcements times and places etc etc. I've done all that for the HPS modification so that would save you some trouble I think. I used Nafzigger as my main source book but when you read the details he becomes contradictory and confused.

Generalissimo
Opolchenie Korpus
Russian Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:03 pm 

I am not going to change the types of artillery or introduced new ones. However I changed the artillery fire effectiveness. In particular, I reduced case-shots firepower by 30%. I will post my new fire table on the forum in a next few days. Just want to know other peoples opinion on that.

I downloaded BG scenario editor and tried it. Seems really easy. Andy, I would love to finish your work. Could you plz email me your files with a brief description of their stage of completion.
This is the best source I could find on the web. I think it is detailed enough to create historical oob. I think it is a summary of a few authors including Nafzigger
http://web2.airmail.net/napoleon/NAPOLEON_FOREVER.html
(scroll it down untill Leipzig)

2nd Grenadier Division
8th Infantry Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:55 pm 

Files are on their way to you.

A large number of alterations. The map has changed to remove orchard hexes from roadsides - in Bg a skirmisher can constantly delay and disorder armies. LoS has been improved. New OOB, leaders units and pdt. Just scenarios to do. Mockern more or less completed.

Generalissimo
Opolchenie Korpus
Russian Army