Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HPS game?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:30 am 

OK, several of the Allied guys have suggested I " get with the times" and buy an HPS Napoleanic game. Here's my question. Which one would you guys buy of the four? I'm leaning towards Waterloo but I'd like to hear some of your opinions gents. Thanks.[:)]

Lt. Don Golen 7/2 Artillerie a` Cheval 2e`me Brigade 2e`me Division de Dragons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:54 am 

It really depends on what you want/like. Waterloo has a wonderful HUGE map. NRC buries you in gobs of troops, while Eckmuhl has the best overall selection of small/medium scenarios, and Wagram gives you Aspern-Essling, which is a fascinating battle. Waterloo is pretty much the flavor of the day, but there's just something that draws me back to Eckmuhl personally.

FZM Freiherr Gary McClellan
Generalissimus Imperial Austrian Army
Portner Grenadier Battallion
Allied Coalition C-in-C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:08 am 

My 2c

I've got all four and having a huge wargame background I think the Campaign Eckmuhl gives best value and range of options to play. Personaly Waterloo is always a favourite but then Wagram and NRC are very interesting too!! Go with the early battles and work your way forward, that way by the time you get to Waterloo you can take the fickle face of fate in your hands, remove her from the equation and make her watch what Glory should have been![:D]

Maj Mike Ellwood
Inf Regt Koning
1 Bde, 22 Div
VII Saxon Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:26 am 

Thanks for your input gentlemen. I changed the order to Eckmuhl as I like the idea of learning the HPS system on the small to medium scenarios that General McClellen mentioned and as Major Elwood mentioned, I can start closer to the beginning of the Napoleanic era (which I've never fought battles from). Now the wait for the games to arrive in the mail begins.

Lt. Don Golen 7/2 Artillerie a` Cheval 2e`me Brigade 2e`me Division de Dragons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:02 am 

Well, you've convinced me about Eckmuhl too. Now I just need a way to justify the expense to the Generalette in charge of the check book. She keeps bringing up some silly such about a bad transmission.

Ensign William Davis
23rd (Royal Welsh) Fusiliers
4th British Brigade
Anglo-Allied Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:02 pm 

I suppose Eckmuhl will be the best choice. Two reasons: it's the most popular game. Almost a half of the HPS games in the cluub were ran using this engine. Next almost all of the "home made" scenarios use it as a base. The second best will be Waterloo. There is still a lot of interest to it in the club and it has a great expansion pack so you won't feel a lack of scenarios to play for a long time. NRC and Wagram are great games too, but they clearly do not get as much attention in here as they deserve.

my 0.02$

<center>Image</center>
<center><b>Eyo Imperatorskogo Velichestva Leib-Kirassirskogo polku
General-Mayor Anton Valeryevich Kosyanenko
Commander of the Second Army of the West </b></center>